“A Symphony and Masterpiece of Life: Cherishing Families as the Greatest Gi | Teen Ink

“A Symphony and Masterpiece of Life: Cherishing Families as the Greatest Gi

I’ve seen the world with my eyes.  In truest sense, I conquered warps and spaces as well as the mysticism of life. You can call it an adventure, but it’s more than you think. In this journey, I’ve encountered many people, many circumstances circled my way. I reached the top and also fell on the deepest depths of failures. I may call myself as the phantom of my book. I’m able to permeate beyond this world sees, accompanied by the blazing trails of my heart. You can join me if you want, because in this story, I’m everyday different. To go back to my core foundation is my mission --- family.
Hello World! Today, I’m Jonathan. It’s a fair and nice day. Thick, puffy clouds swarmed the clear sky. I’m awakened by the sweet voice of my mother that’s continuously calling my name. I kissed her, and then we ate together with the rest of my family. I’m proud to say that they are probably the kindest family God has given me. We eat meals simultaneously, we all go to church every Sunday, and we watch television shows happily. I’m grateful to have them, for they let me experience the joys and pain of living. They loved me unconditionally, that’s why I grew up as a person they wanted me to be. They filled every single space in my life with their hearts, that’s why I love them so much. I don’t want to wake up if it’s a dream, buy my weary body after such a whole day is much powerful than my mind. I slept with my subconscious region still clouded with thoughts. I’m thinking if I’m going to wake up still in their loving arms. I don’t know.
It was Monday, and this day I woke up as Veronica. My body still pleads for rest; maybe it’s because of yesterday. I didn’t notice that my friends called me from the window. They’re asking me to go out with them, and without a second, I dressed and ate up immediately. Friends ---they are my family. They taught me how to battle life’s tribulations and lethal perils. In times I need someone to cry on, they were at my side as my shoulders to lean. I’ve felt secured when I’m with them, and they also let me experience how it feels to love and be loved by the people around you. I don’t know what I’m going to do without them because my friends acted as my real family despite my gloomy, shattered past. After such a tiring bonding, I decide to go home already. In my bed, my body already gave up and devoured deep sleep. I don’t know where it’s going to bring me again, but I hope I’ll still wake up in life like this.
What a Tuesday! I’m awakened by flying bed pillows thrown hardly on my face. An exasperating voice filled my room with irritating shouts like a thunder booming terribly. It was my mother, and she’s telling me again to wake up, but I know it’s still too early to flex my joints and do non- stop household chores. I wish I have other families who can care and even give me even a little bit of affection. I envy children with such good life that lies within them. Truth to be told, I’m with a broken family. My mother and father separated a long time ago due to constant misunderstandings and constraints. Now, I’m with my mother, but my father still sends us money to sustain our necessities. Mariah! My mother growled again with such an infuriating, high pitch voice. I know she’s going to scold me, and it’s true. In her eyes, it seem like all the things that I do were wrong. I just want to give up. I’m worn-out already, but beyond all these, I still thank this woman and my siblings, because I know that they still love me, cloaked in our everyday brawls and exchanging of hurtful words. My mom works day to night just to provide three meals in a day. After our supper, I went straight to my room. I’m drawn again by this powerful body to lie in my bed and engage in this mystery. “I know you love me mom, and I love you too.” I murmured as I shut my eyes.
Another day has come, and as I looked in my rippling reflection in the water, “Oh! it was all just a dream.” A daydream and a night dream infused together. I tried to examine all that happened to me these past few days and from a keen observation I realized it were all just a dream? How majestic! Even though it’s only brought by my curious and deep mind, I learned a lot from this breathtaking journey. It was all about families and my past premonitions contributed into this unforgettable symphony and masterpiece of life, the concept of family. In my point of view, I think it’s a sparkling bliss that came from God. He used my mind and heart to show the depths of humanity including families. It’s a profound and very special gift from Him, because in families, we are able to feel love, affection, concern, hope, faith and other things only felt by our hearts, completing the story of our lives. They were the vivid hues that complement to create a magnificent band of colors that were aesthetically created to feel the warmth of God’s love for us. I think every family is a reflection of Him, for they love us no matter how hard life is or how high our hopes can be, they are still there to support us, to provide us comfort, savoring that secured, cozy feeling. I’m so blessed to have a family--- they have all the traits that will complete and propel us to who we are destined to be because I believe that God’s hands hold every family and fills it with endless, unconditional love.
You may feel all alone, but try to look back, reflect and pause for a while. When the world seems to be full of despair, anxiety, run and go to your family. They can help you ease all these heavy stuffs and feel that you are safe. It’s because with them, you can feel God.
I’m so blessed and grateful to have a family. They are truly an enthralling gift from Highness up in the heavens.
Thank you God, I have a family!

This piece was inspired by my keen observations of Filipino families undergoing different encounters with their own families. I used an omniscient narrator to view perspectives of different children.