Sea Breaths | Teen Ink

Sea Breaths

By s23732 SILVER, Wilmington, Massachusetts
s23732 SILVER, Wilmington, Massachusetts

The scorching sun beat down upon my 6 year old forehead as tiny beads of sweat dribbled down my face. My eyes glanced toward the ocean, so calm, so cool. I dreamed of the refreshing water chilling my baking skin and soothing my body. Step by step I trudged through the singing sand, my feet gradually cooling as I got closer to the water’s edge. Then, within an instant, it hit me. The first wave climbed up onto the damp sand and caressed my toes; my body temperature finally starting to lower. Now with a new yearning to be entirely embraced in the ocean’s soothing touch, I walked further into the ocean. I submerged myself in the Atlantic, the waters kissing my skin with every gust of a current, all the while soothing my fever like a natural aloe vera cream.
“Sabrina, that’s too far,” my mother hollered from the land, the sea breeze whipping her hair to and fro.
“It’s fine, Mom,” I smiled, ignoring her warning, as I had grown fond of my sea legs, “The water feels nice-,”
Crash. Gasp. Crackling sounds of conversation and ocean waves plagued my senses. There was an infinite darkness that seemed to extend on into the unknown; a darkness I could not swim away from.
Crash. Gasp. My lungs let out as I inhaled the salty water of the Atlantic. The once pleasant waters that cooled and soothed my skin now stung and singed my airways like an ocean full of acid. I found myself becoming a hypocrite, now dreaming of the warm gentle touch of the sun’s rays, and for the ocean to release its icy grip on my body. My senses soon dwindled as the Atlantic continued to sing me a lullaby, full of peace, serenity, and mumbled noises, each note humming and echoing through my mind.
Cough. Pat. My eyes inched open. I smiled gleefully at the concerned face of my mother leaning over me, and to feel the warmth sun’s glowing rays. I sat up and glanced over at the Atlantic, looking back to push my finger through the warm June sand, my worries and concerns of darkness dissolving as I exhaled my sea breaths.