Breaking | Teen Ink

Breaking

By audreylinhwrites BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
audreylinhwrites BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Being pushed around the school isn’t fun when growing up. I never had a say in anything that happened to me. All the names, the way people saw me and how they reacted. No one should stand up to say anything or help and frankly I was too scared, scared things would get worse. Everything was thrust upon me. When I was younger I wouldn’t worry about things that got in my way. I thought I could be a superhero and help others. Sadly I realized I couldn’t help others if I couldn’t even help myself. So life hit me really hard. I was happy for one year when I dated John Tate.
John understood me and would stand up for me when I felt like I didn’t have a voice. For weeks he would try and end the endless rumors Heather spread about me. One Wednesday afternoon I sat alone on the patio, sweat dripped down my face racing to my neck. Everyone had just looked at me and didn’t care that I was sitting alone. But when John saw me he sat with me. From then on we would sit together and talk. Most of the time it wasn’t serious or scary stuff, just nonsense. Eventually he asked me on a date and we would laugh and I wouldn’t think about the bad times. That ended quickly when the popular girl Heather didn’t want me happy. She ripped him out of my fingers, like she has done many times before, only this time it was different. John made a bad day a bit better with his smiles. My mood could be flipped around depending on what he would do. But when he was gone I started crying myself to sleep. I had no one to turn to, for the first time I had been completely alone. Society saw the sorrow within me and took advantage. The days could be easily shattered just knowing I could walk in the halls and just get laughed at and no one would care if the next day I disappeared.
As I stared off to the cloudy sky, it started to downpour, as if my emotions had stirred up a conjuring in the sky. The raindrops trickled in my window as I fiddled with the lock wondering if I should mind about the raindrops penetrating my dusty wooden floor. Today had been just another Wednesday, 9am. I could be at school wondering if my existence was really necessary. But instead I ignore my life and pity myself, “sick” again. I am convinced I can skip school and no one will notice. Sadly its true, I have a couple friends but they don’t care about where I am they just choose to be nice. Since John, my life had been a spiral of despair. I would get glares in the hallway, laughs if I messed up in class or just pointing out my flaws. One day would turn to another and I would just wonder, does this need to be horrible? People who did talk to me would never just openly talk but almost hide so they couldn’t be seen with me. The worst part about the whole situation was that Heather and John broke up only one month after that. The plan was never for it to be a long lasting happy relationship, just one to break me, unfortunately it did. 
Heather and I were best friends going into middle school. Our families were both wealthy but nothing to make us snobby or stuck up. Heather always had a way of making you feel pretty if she liked you. She would compliment you and make you feel like you were an important person. I will always cherish the kind words she said. But as soon as she realized she could become the perfect pretty popular girl she left me at a lunch table to eat alone. Heather was always the kind to want to be the best, it was how she was raised. In her house they were all very hard working people which shaped her into who she is today. But she gets what she wants. Always.
“Adriana, I’m leaving for work!” my mom called from downstairs. I responded in silence, just letting the deep roar of thunder answer her. When the garage door clicked shut I scrambled to my bed letting it hold my weight of sorrow. As my eyelids closed into letting me into a haze when the question hit me, what made Heather hate me so much?
A shoulder rammed into my collarbone, but whose? Where am I? A figure towered over me putting a dark shadow so I could see the face. Heather. Her fist flew towards my face, throwing me to the ground. A warm liquid drizzled down from my nose, blood. “You ruined me,” she cried “I could’ve been happy!” Suddenly her foot shot towards me.
I shot up drowning in my own sweat. It was just a dream. My lungs pounded as I sat up on my bed. As I shuffled off I wiped the sweat from my forehead. “It was just a dream.” I mumbled to myself over and over again as I walked down the hall. I rushed down the stairs making sure a soft wind brushed my face. When I reached the bottom, flashes of the horrifying dream spurred in my mind. Squeezing my eyes together, I shook the thoughts from my head. Walking to the kitchen, I decided all I needed was a nice snack and to maybe watch some tv to take the edge off the events in my dream. As I opened the refrigerator the cool breeze covered my face giving me a moment of peace. Out of nowhere a buzz erupted from the counter. I jumped, getting thrown off, but it was just my phone. Slamming the fridge I walked over to my phone while it shook with exhilaration. I slid my finger across the screen to answer the call. It was Kaitlin.
“Adri!” Kaitlin screamed through the phone. I pulled the phone away from my ear slightly feeling as if I was about to go deaf.
“What?” I replied, quite annoyed.
“Adri it’s about John.” At that point I almost hung up never wanting to hear his name again, but at the same time I wanted to know more about his life now that I was cut out of it.
“He well, you see he….” Kaitlin sputtered out.
“What Kait?” I pursued.
“He asked Taylor Jenling to the dance.” She responded, her tone getting more sentimental.
I pushed tears back. It has been 3 months get over it, I thought. But how? He is the only person I have ever loved. “Is that it because-” I pushed a fake cough out “I am really sick.”
“Yeah Adri, there is more bad news,” she sighed “you have been kicked off the track team.” My heart stung, and I was shocked for a moment.  Kicked off the track team? I couldn’t deal with this right now. I ended the call and ran up to my room. What now? Track was the only thing that was going to get me to the college of my dreams. It’s not like I am particularly skilled academically, and I don’t have any other real talents. This was my only shot! What will my life become? Who will I be?
What now? I am just a sophomore in the cities’ horrible creation of a thrown together school. I am never going to be what I dream to be so what will I do? Suddenly a furious pounding exploded from the back door. Unknowing on what to do I walked towards the furious knocks. I tugged the door as it burst open. But before a seconds notice a fist flew towards my face. The blood from my nose trickled down to my lips as the salty liquid left a horrible taste in my mouth. When I glanced up I saw her. Heather. My lungs pounded, I wanted to let a scream out but I was all alone.
“Adriana” she whispered “are you okay? I am so sorry! I was trying to knock on the door but I looked away and hit you and oh my gosh-” as she kneeled down to me.
“I’m fine” I stuttered as she helped me onto my feet. Her tear streaked face threw me in a puzzle. “What happened?” Even though Heather wasn’t my favorite person I know how it felt to be sad, hell I knew more about it then she probably knew in her whole life.
“It’s..” she sobbed, “my locker was filled with sticky notes stating every mean thing I have done and everything that made me a horrible person. It was covered in horrible names and I walked up to it and..” her eyes threw water out from within her “everyone started laughing and pointing and I tried to run to the bathroom or somewhere and people tripped me and stepped on me.” she pulled her shirt down around her shoulder which revealed a large violet and discolored patch bestowed on her. “And to top things off my friends actually hate me. They told me it was just an act for popularity and now that I am a loser they don’t need me.” She paused. “Adriana I know we haven’t been good friends since 6th grade but I want it to change and I’m sorry I’ve been such a jerk but I need someone.”
About here a mean person would shove her off and yell at her. It sucks that I have kept in my anger for too long. “Really?” I exclaimed “I was there for you then you left me for some dumb blonde mean girls. Too top it off after you took my boyfriend the only light in my freaking horrible life of bullying torture, from whom? YOU. So if you think just because you have had just as bad as a life as me.” I gazed at the floor ashamed of what I have said. “You are right. I will be here for you.” As soon as I finished she flung herself into my arms.
“Thank you” she whispered.

It turns out not much has changed between us. But the thing is life is never going to work out for us so why bother? It was an ongoing question interrupting my thoughts. In the end everyone will get over it. Not everything is permanent, so we decided it would be easier to not deal with the pain. So I finally became that superhero I wanted to be when I was younger, I tried to leap off a chair and fly. But a rope caught me, it brought me to a better place. Somewhere I am telling this story from, where I am happy. I saw the light for once and hung on to it. Confidence spread throughout my body, I can rule wherever I am going, I will be happy. Heather almost went through with it but she got scared and never pushed to fly. She remains on Earth but I am going to be there for her even when she can’t see me. I will be her Angel.

Nothing about me was really missed. Heather freaked out after I died thinking I wasn’t going to go through with it when the tears stung her eyes she could only see the swinging of my legs. She had called Kaitlin and they huddled in my room dazed, confused, sad but eventually they got the nerve to call the ambulance and my mom. Heather started to write in a diary to help. In the end they became friends, they each would be there for eachother because they were the last to talk to me. It brought them closer. I believe everything happens for a reason. Even my death had a reason to happen. To lose one sad to gain 2 happy. I know deep down inside of you you want to believe it. I am here to tell you it does.

I have been working on the piece for a year. Thank you to everyone who has helped me write and edit this piece. I am very happy with how it turned out.