Two Million in Twelve Hours | Teen Ink

Two Million in Twelve Hours

April 28, 2015
By izzyz SILVER, Vienna, Other
izzyz SILVER, Vienna, Other
7 articles 1 photo 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable and to give an appearance of of solidity to pure wind." George Owell


“A bit of concealer to cover up my dark circles. A bit of foundation to cover all my stress blemishes. A bit of spray tan to cover up my bruised, pale legs. And as a finish, a bit of pink lipstick to make me look younger. There, now I look presentable again. Now I actually look like a fairy. Oh no I almost forgot….my choker! Ugh where is that stupid thing. No wonder I get stress blemishes, everything around here is stressful. Ah found it!” she thought as she put on her tooth necklace. “There… Now I not only look like a tooth fairy, now I look like THE tooth fairy.” She smiled about the way she made herself look but that smile didn’t last long. “Oh god! I have so many errands to run before I collect teeth today.” And with that, she ruffled her creased wings and flew off to the her office.


On her way there, she remembered she had forgotten her bag and that her socks were mismatched. When she finally arrived, 30 minutes late, her hair was frizzy and her makeup ruined.


“Umm Al, how many children lost their teeth today?” she asked, trying to sound chirpy and awake.


“About two million, why?” Al wondered.
“Nothing nothing, just wanted to know my workload for today,” she told him attempting to hide the stress in her voice. ‘O.M.G. Two million kids!!! That’s going to take the whole freaking night… How am I supposed to do that!?’ she thought to herself as she wrinkled her forehead.
With the sunset came the first panic attack. The tooth fairy was totally overworked. She had to collect two million teeth in 12 hours which was entirely too much for her to handle. As the sky continued to darken and the children of the world started to go to sleep, the tooth fairy had to get it together. She wiped the tears off her cheeks and straightened her wings.


“Ey Tooth Fairy! Get ready, kids are asleep in three...two...one! Have a good and quick flight!” Al shouted but she had already zoomed off to collect teeth.


‘6 hours to go, 6 more freaking hours’ she thought to herself, checking her watch more frequently than usual. ‘Oh no… not this house again. This kid loses teeth like every other day. He’s so ruff, even when he sleeps.’ Quickly, she fluttered into his room and attempted to see the tooth he had placed under his pillow. Rapidly, he turned in his sleep screaming and punching. She tried, this time, to quickly pull the tooth from underneath him. As soon as she was at his pillow, he turned again and his fist hit her face. She was thrown against the wall with a swollen eye. Her third attempt was even worse. This time, he turned so that she got stuck in his blanket.


‘Oh no!’ she thought to herself, ‘my wings are stuck. There’s no way I can get out of here!’ She tried to jank herself free but nothing worked. A glimpse at her watch revealed that one hour had passed. She started to get too tired to fight back. As silence and stillness filled the room, drowsiness took over her. Her eyes closed and her head got heavy and from one moment to another, she was asleep.


Birds chirped and the sun kissed the tooth fairy’s bruised eye. She blinked, confused for a moment but then she remembered. ‘Oh no, no, no,’ she mumbled. ‘Was I stuck here all night, did I fall asleep? What about the other 1,346,783 teeth I had to collect.’ She tried to free herself again, resulting in a broken wing. But she could finally leave.


The journey back to her office was treacherous. When she arrived, she immediately collapsed in a pile on the floor.
“Oh my gosh! There you are! What about my teeth?! Oh dear look at you? What on earth happened!”


“Nothing Al just a busy night!” she replied, finishing her lie with a smile.