World-Cancelling Headphones | Teen Ink

World-Cancelling Headphones

By CaptainKirby SILVER, Longmont, Colorado
CaptainKirby SILVER, Longmont, Colorado

"Things don't get done unless somebody does them."

The bell rang and class was out. Scott, like everyone else in his History class, stood from his desk and slung his backpack over his shoulder. As the others began to clear out of the room, Scott stayed behind, and searched for something inside his backpack. He took out a pair of blue headphones, with a skull emblem on each side. He plugged his phone into the headphones and selected the first song from his four-hour long playlist of things he listened to at least once each weekend. The first song he queued up was "Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson. He sauntered to the smooth beat of the music through the hallways.
The world turned into a glaze, as the conversations, arguments, and lives of others took a back seat to the music in the headphones. Scott always played his music at least two notches louder than he should. His parents said it was bad for his hearing, but it was the only volume that could effectively cancel out the world. 
He passed by a girl on crutches hobbling along. He felt something cold brush up against his ankle as he continued on. Scott didn't know where she was going, or the fact that the cold thing was the crutch that he pushed just enough to slip out from under the girl, causing her to fall and injure her leg even worse. He couldn't hear her screams over his music. Scott walked away from the girl with the broken leg, screaming on the ground. She was going to her locker, where she would've met up with her friends to discuss roles for a group project, and Scott would never know that.
He neared the front doors, and nudged a large boy as he strolled through the thick foot traffic that always lingered for a few minutes after school was let out. Scott didn't know the boy's age, or that he was in the middle of a very passionate argument with one of his friends, and Scott's nudge was taken as an act of aggression starting a brutal fistfight. The boy not only broke his nose, but also his relationship with his one good friend. Scott would not hear the yelling or the crunch of fractured bone. Even if was loud enough, it would've just sounded like another snare hit in the middle of his music. The boy was seventeen, and taught his younger brother how to ride a bicycle on Saturdays, and Scott would never know that.
After he exited the building, Scott walked through the parking lot, trying to get to his car parked in the far back. As he crossed through the pickup line, an area of high traffic, a new driver came down the road. Scott walked right in front the new driver. Scott didn't know the new driver's name, or his passenger's name, or the name of driver behind them. He also didn't know that the new driver slammed on the breaks, to avoid hitting Scott, and would've succeeded if the driver behind him weren’t so close behind. Scott wouldn't know that the crash resulted in bruising, a concussion, a broken neck, and a fatality.
The new driver's name was Thomas, who was driving his sister, Rebecca, home from school. The other driver was Mr. Pultrude, the history teacher. Thomas was the only one left without any major injuries, except the emotional damage that he will think that he was the reason that his sister broke her neck and would not be able to perform in the school play in two weeks, or any play after that. Mr. Pultrude wouldn't be able to teach for the next week while he recovered from his concussion, which would lead to the school hiring the substitute based off of student feedback.
But Scott wouldn't know any of this. It's pretty hard for the dead to learn new things. The only part of Scott left after the crash, was the headphones and his phone. Miraculously, they managed to stay attached through the whole ordeal. No one picked them up, mostly because they were too awe struck by the scene to disturb it, but if someone did he would hear the song Scott was listening to when he died. It wasn't "Man in the Mirror", that song had finished a minute earlier. It was "Do I Wanna Know?", by Arctic Monkeys. The answer was no, Scott didn't want to know.

I wear headphones a large majority of the time, and I do it for two reasons. One is because I really like my music, and the second is that I sometimes just want a break from the world. This is a piece about the horrors that can come from such ignorance.