Revealed | Teen Ink

Revealed

March 13, 2015
By HeatherTucker SILVER, Hayward, California
HeatherTucker SILVER, Hayward, California
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We accept the love we think we deserve"


My entire life has been based around lies. Technically I don’t even exist. Planet Earth has become too over populated. There isn't enough food and water for everyone. My older brother tells me that many years ago, different territories went into war with each other on a scale our people no longer understand. Something about making people really sick really fast and sometimes even changing the fact that they were even human. 
The war left Planet Earth famished. More than half of Earth’s population died in war. Still, there were not enough resources. On top of that, many parts of the earth were contaminated. My grandpa used to tell me stories that his pa told him about how their buddies went out to one of those contaminated areas. One of my great, great grandpa’s buddies died from the Earth contamination. 
Because of such scarce resources, families everywhere are only allowed to birth one child. A death penalty is sentenced upon the entire family if a second child is born. The reason I technically don’t exist is because I am a second child.  
I was an accident. After my parents had my older brother, Dreg, they swore to abstain themselves, or so the story goes. But on the one evening our community celebrates once a year, my parents drank too much. My dad tells me that that night is one he’ll never regret. He says that my mother was so beautiful; it didn't matter if they sinned. I was conceived that night. I am now fourteen and the only people I have ever seen in my entire life are Dreg and my father. My mom passed away from child labor. I’ll never forgive myself for killing her. I’m not even supposed to be alive.
Right now in the community square, a festival is going on. I don’t what the cause is but I can hear loud music and smell campfire smoke. My room is a tiny compartment behind a closet in my dad’s bedroom. I have to spend most of my time there because of routinely checks by the community guards. I have the entire house to myself right now and I know for a fact everyone is down the block having a blast. I sit by the living room window and stare down to the end of the street. Glowing orange looms overhead the party from flamed torches and the smell of delicious ham wafts in with the cool breeze.
When I focus, I see a figure zooming towards me and I notice its Dreg. He stumbles in, probably intoxicated. He’s dressed ridiculously! Wearing a purple velvet cape and a large orange top hat with long black socks and baggy white pants cut off at the knee. Why is he wearing a costume? I ask him. “It’s a costume party Teege,” and he walks out.
I dress in anything quirky looking I can find and craft a makeshift mask. I take a deep breath and open the front door to take my step outside. When the door closes I run. I run so fast it makes me laugh, hard. I've never run before, and I’m going to that I party. I do exist.