Rain Boots | Teen Ink

Rain Boots

February 21, 2015
By sophiacousins BRONZE, Erie, Colorado
sophiacousins BRONZE, Erie, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

She was happy, a bright little child. She was a friend to everyone and would smile and wave to the people on the street. This little girl could be described as yellow.


When she went into her class, she would hug her teacher Mrs. Showmoon. The girl would raise her hand and try to answer every question even if she didn’t know the answer. At the end of the day, after all the other kids had left, she would help Mrs. Showmoon clean up the room and Mrs. Showmoon would wave her goodbye.
On Monday’s the little girl wore polka-dots, Tuesday she wore headbands, Wednesday white tea gloves, Thursday the color yellow, and Friday a ballerina tutu. Each day she wore something different but everyday she wore her yellow rainboots with a daisy on each side.


All the classmates knew about her routine and they didn’t mind. Some of them started to do something like it but they made it their own. The little girl would play with all the kids but sometimes she was found soaking up the sun with her eyes closed and her arms spread wide. She would twirl around or sit on a bench tapping her boots together. She always had fun even if she was by herself and she played in both rain and shine.


One day, the girl’s class took a field trip into the mountains. She woke up and put on a yellow headband along with a pink dress and her yellow rainboots. For breakfast she had a glass of orange juice and french toast with powdered sugar and pineapple. The girl grabbed her favorite book called “The Puddle” and hopped into her mom’s car.


About an hour later, they arrived at the place the class was meeting and the girl joined her friends while her mom checked her in with Mrs. Showmoon. The little girl’s mom left but some of the other mom’s stayed. The class then started their hike up to Raven Lake where they would have a picnic and play in the lake.


Forty-five minutes after the class started the hike, they reached Raven Lake. Mrs. Showmoon laid out a red and white checkered picnic blanket and the class sat down as their teacher laid out the food. She laid out peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, strawberries and lemonade. After lunch, Mrs. Showmoon taught the class about the different fish in the heart of the lake. When the lesson was done, the little girl and all her friends ran and played in the lake. Before she went in, the girl took off her boots and placed them in a bush so she made sure she wouldn’t lose them. Mrs. Showmoon and the parents let the kids play but by 2:30, the parents had packed up the picnic. The little girl got out of the water and looked around in the bushes for her boots. The girl wasn’t able to find them because she was having too much fun that she had forgotten to mark which bush she put them in. The girl started crying and her teacher rushed over. Mrs. Showmoon said that they had to leave but she would carry the girl down the mountain to meet her mom.


When they reached the bottom, the little girl jumped out of her teachers arms, hugged her friends and ran to her mom. She and her mom drove off. On the ride home, the girl cried and read her book. From then on, the girl was never the same. She stayed friends with everyone but losing her boots put a damper on her happiness and she wasn’t as playful as she used to be.


Twenty-six years later, the little girl wasn’t so little anymore. She was now thirty-one and her life was completely different. The woman was married to her best friend and lived in a beautiful house in Washington. She also happened to be pregnant. One morning she sat in her kitchen sipping coffee while her husband slept. The woman sat thinking about her childhood when the doorbell rang. She walked over and opened the door to find her rain boots sitting on her doorstep. The woman bent down and opened the letter taped to one of the daisies. It read
“Just remember… Save them for a rainy day”.


The women started to cry as all the memories of before and after she lost the boots flooded into her. She picked them up, brought the boots inside, and walked into the livingroom to find her husband sitting on the couch. She sat down and held the boots out to him. With a huge smile on her face, she said,


“These were the best part of my childhood and now we can save them for our little girl. I’m so happy to have them back.”

 

Her husband looked into her eyes and said,
“These rain boots will stay with us forever, through rain and shine”.