Released From My Pain | Teen Ink

Released From My Pain

By KatelynH. SILVER, Mason, Michigan
KatelynH. SILVER, Mason, Michigan

Failing is giving you another chance to try again

Home. Polished wooden floors, nice white furniture set around a small glass table, two loving parents, and all the food you can eat. No fear of starvation. But that is all a dream. This is the nightmare that I live in.

Old rotting wood surrounds me. The walls have mold growing at their edges. It's dark, quiet, lonely. My stomach growls from hunger. The pain brings tears to my eyes, but yet no tears fall. I'm weak from days without food. How did I even get here? I thought. I cant even remember the people that raised me. My mind is empty. My thoughts have converged into nothing.

I roam around the old wooden shack I call home. There is a bundle of fabric bunched up in a corner. That is my bed. A broken mirror hangs to the left of that. I look at myself. Dirt streaked my face, cheeks hollow, my hair knoted up in a mess. You could see the outline of my bones, my ribcage, my knees. I looked like I was already dead. I stumble and fall to the floor. 

People stare which makes me uncomftorble. I was basicly walking aroud half naked. Only a few pins keep the rags wrapped around my body from falling off. Few children and wives stop to help. Most mothers grab their childs hand tightly so they dont just run up to me. Can someone please end this pain!

As I lay there still on the hard wooden surface, a woman aproaches me. I reach for my sheets to pull them over my half naked body, but she rests her hand gently on mine and speaks in a voice that sounds like an angel. "Don't move child," She spoke so elegantly. "The pain will be over soon. You will be far away from here before you know it."

The woman then disappeared and was replaced by a bright light. I then found myself standing straight up and walking towards it. The pain had stopped almost instantly. Am I really ready to let go? Is there no place for me in this world. I thought as I got closer. Then I finally understood. God has taken me into his loving arms.

"Thank you." I whisper as the brightness consumes me.

Nothing really inspired me to write this piece. I was just sitting in class and an idea just popped in my head so I decided to put it down on paper.

I hope that people really connect to this in some way. I wanted to try to paint a picture in the readers mind. I'm not a negative person and not intentionally write about dark things but I want to just not stick to one category of writting. So I hope you like it and plese leve some comments to help me improve on my skills.

KristineB said...
Vivid sensory images!

MedicMom said...
Great piece! I think you did an excellent job at keeping your reader interested and wanting more. Keep up the great work.