Snow | Teen Ink

Snow

By Wickedgirl95 SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri
Wickedgirl95 SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri

We may not talk everyday, we may not live next door, but true friends are there they are the ones that think of you and care how you are doing.

The harsh wind hisses and rattles the window frightening my siblings beside me. I huddle closer to my younger brother and sister as the wind continues to snap. We begin to shiver under the many layers of clothing. Sighing as I image our first snow fall. It is already near the end of January, and we have not had a single snow day. If only we can have a small break off school! Smiling, I imagine the white powder. Still in thought, I can hear mom in the other room slamming pots around. From the kitchen, I can smell vanilla, hot chocolate, and… and… is that snow ice cream?!

I leap up knocking my siblings to the floor in a huff. Zigzagging through the many blankets strewn across the floor, I rush into the kitchen to find mom wrestling with the appliances.

She looks up as I walk into the room, “Oh, I was going to surprise you!”

Without responding I grab my coat and scurry to the door. Squeaking the door open I glimpse the amazing sight. Snow crystals glitter in the moonlight, looking like thousands of little stars. All the trees sparkle with the fantastic white dust. I breathe in the fresh scent of winter air, and then I lift my head toward the sky allowing the icy snow to melt on my face.

Dashing out the door was my rosy cheeked sister. Snow clouds at her feet as she ran creating the image of pixie-dust trailing a fairy. Soon after, my brother trails after her, only to plunge face first into the feathery snow. As he lifts his head, I glimpse a melting Santa beard, and collapse into a fit of giggles. In response, he throws a snowball at my face. Laughing harder, I begin to realize how freezing I am. Only Edward Cullen would enjoy this weather!

Shielding my face from the flying snowballs, I sprint back inside. Exhaling loudly, I slam the door on the charging wind. Plopping myself in a chair, I hold my coco close to my frozen face. Inhaling the chocolaty scent, I slap on my ‘Luna Lovegood’ smile, and down the whole mug. Outside, the only sound I can hear, besides the racing wind, is the laughter of joyous children, and now I know, this is way better than a simple snow day.

Sarah said...
on Mar. 27 2010 at 2:06 am
It's a cute childhood story, and I don't know how old you are, but you definitely still have to work on your writing -- grammar, description, depth, sophistication. But it is really sweet that your friends and family got in on this.

pinksage33 BRONZE, Woodstock, New York
This is REALLY good.

Abby Wow! I am soooooo proud of you! I loved it! You did a awesome job! Keep looking for those oppertunites to shine.... I can't wait to see it published in Teen Ink.

Grandma said...
Abby, That is fantastic. I am so proud of you. You are such a talented and hard working girl. The sky is the limit I 'm so excited to watch how far you will go. You are amazing.

ReachSkyHigh said...
Abbs! This is amazing! You are amazing! You have so many talents and writing is certainly one of them. This is such a descriptive passage about a first snow. I could almost taste the "ice cream" and feel the snow melting on my nose. Considering I'm in AR and haven't seen snow in quite some time, that says a lot. I can't wait to see this in "Teen Ink". Adding published to your long list of achievements, before you even hit high school, is amazing. The colleges' are going to fight over you. Okay, so I may be gushing and a little bias(being that I am your aunt and all)...but you have some kind of talents promise.

Toby said...
FANTASTIC! The reader can sense exactly how the writer is feeling about this first day of snow.

Linda said...
Abby I loved it! You did a great job! I can't wait to see it published in Teen Ink. Keep it up.

angeldemon said...
abs, i know that i already read it in class, but i reallly like it!!! you are soo lucky!!! i wish i got so many comments. ive got, like, 1 and something like -2000...lol!! keep writing!

PawPaw said...
Abby B.

I think this is a wonderful fiction story that shows the excitement of the first day of snow through the eyes and imagination of a young teenage girl. Well written an very discriptive and exciting. Great Job. Can't wait until it is published in "Teen Ink"

kitten888 said...
OMG!!! ITS AMAZING!!