The Baseball Game. | Teen Ink

The Baseball Game.

October 31, 2014
By thegameblogger13 BRONZE, Mesquite, Texas
thegameblogger13 BRONZE, Mesquite, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"How do you make time fly? You throw the clock out the window."


 It's Sunday evening and I'm at my middle school ready to play baseball. We were playing against a school that has never lost a game. It's also my first time playing a game in front of the whole school. What will happen? Will I embarrasse myself? Will I make the team lose? Let's just see what happens.

 It's been hours and the coach hasn't called me up to pitch. Then I heard the coach. "Kieren, you're up!" the coach yelled. I put on my baseball glove and got my baseball. I walked out of the shack and onto the field. The bleachers were crowded with lots of people I know. I don't think I can do this. But it's too late, I already walked out to the field. The coach already called my name. I just have to go with it.

 I got to the middle of the field and saw who I was going up against. Casey Batter. He's one of the batters that's never strucked out in his career. And his last name says it all, too. I grabbed the baseball out of my glove, closed my eyes, and threw the ball. "Strike one!" the umpire said. I opened my eyes and people were cheering for me. Suddenly, my hopes gets a little higher. The umpire throws the ball back to me and I immediately throw the ball to Casey. "Strike two!" I couldn't believe my luck! The crowd started cheering louder and louder. Just one more strike and I'll win the game for my team. I catch the ball and concentrated on my target. Then I threw the ball. Bam! Casey hit the ball, I couldn't believe it! He ran all the way to first, second, and third base. And before you knew it, he ran back home.

 The game was over, Casey won for his team. As the crowd started to leave, I took off my glove and put it on the ground. I walked off the field and got my skateboard from the shack. I was going home, who would want me around since I made the whole team lose? When I was about to ride off, a group of people came to me. What are they going to say? Here comes the criticism. "Kieren, sorry you lost the game. But the coach wanted to give you this," a kid said. He handed me an award. I read the description at the bottom. "In honor of Kieren Freeman. For being the best pitcher of 2014," I read. This turned out to be my favorite day. I didn't win the baseball game but at least I won an award for trying. I guess bad things happen so you can have good things in return.


The author's comments:

In my English class, our assignment was to write a story about Baseball. I'm not really much of a Baseball fan but my story turned out to be good. Also, the name Casey Batter is inspired from the poem and Disney short "Casey At The Bat".