Betrayed | Teen Ink

Betrayed

By Janani.P BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Janani.P BRONZE, Cupertino, California

Nisha and Trisha are the best archers in their class, not to mention bffs. Are they truly Bff's? Or is one jealous? When Nisha is admired the most in her class, Trisha decides to do something that not a distant friend would do. But when the competition arrives, their relationship as best friends are put to the test. Who will rise? Who will fall? 

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter 1
Archery. Two things that come to my mind are pride and betrayal. Everytime I pick up my bow, I get nightmares from that day that haunts me now. If I hadn’t been trusted,  I would have won, bringing a good name to not only myself but my guru too. But I let my soft nature take over me completely that I have got cheated very badly. I am very ashamed of myself, very ashamed.

Chapter 2: Chapter 2

Chapter 2
Nisha and I, we were best in our Archery class, not to mention best friends. We were like bread and jam, tea and rusk , a doctor and patient. We were so close that we couldn’t smile without glancing at each other everyday. And that is why our guru chose us two to compete in The Archer’s Filmfare, an international competition when two people from different countries come to compete for the grand prize of 1 crore rupees! From that day on, our master examined our skills everyday correcting every mistake we do. But everyone focused on me, like I was Vishnu or something and Nisha felt really rejected. “ You will win Trisha” she said. When she said this, behind her somewhat pleasing smile, I knew something had happened. Nisha was trying really hard to swallow back a sob, but eventually the barrier burst exposing her true feeling. So I sat down wiping her tears, and trying to be there for her, I asked her “ What’s wrong buddy?”. Upon hearing this she looked in my eyes and said “ Why is everyone rejecting me? What is wrong with me?”. She sobbed on my shoulders so hard that her sadness from her tears onto my skin leaving behind just the water. “ If you are feeling rejected, why didn’t you tell guru? I interrogated. All of a sudden, Nisha burst in anger, “ Didn’t you notice them always clapping for you only? Hmm?! Didn’t you also notice that you were the centerpiece of guru’s attention?! Huh!?” she yelled. “ If you didn’t notice all of these things, how are you even… my friend? How?” she cried. Oh my god, this whole time, the praises overshadowed me that I could not even see Nisha. “ Nisha, look I will do something about this. Ok?” I said. “ Ok, but you cannot beat me in competition.” Nisha answered. It was shocking hearing Nisha say that, but I was so bound to by my friendship to her and said “ Yes.” As time passed, I acted like I lost my archery skills so Nisha could not be rejected. But when the time for the competition arrived, I wish that I had tried my best to grant Nisha’s wish and, that is where it all went astray.

Chapter 3: Chapter 3

Chapter 3
All the archers competing were getting ready by stringing their bows and shifting their aim to the target, and I looked for Nisha at her podium but she was gone. I saw her running to the changing area like she was trying to hide something in her gloves, something hard. When she came back she looked a lot more stronger, that I  couldn’t tell her apart from a boxer. I asked “ Hey Nisha, what are you hiding in your armour?”. Nisha stumbled when she heard me and said “ Oh, its nothing.” Nisha said sarcastically. I knew she was hiding something, something that would make her win but I could not make her reveal it. So I said “ If you are not hiding something then why are you so protective of your armour?”. Nisha said “ Well it was-” the bell had rang, so loud that many people were already at their podium. “ Bye-Bye and break a leg!” she said. I got suspicious  of Nisha’s activities and the way of speaking, but I let the problem go away, to do what I was brought here for.

Chapter 4: Chapter 4

Chapter 4
Nisha, I , and the other competitors had stepped on the podium getting ready to release the arrow at the flick of a string. I was getting ready adjusting my position then I felt shaking below my podium. I was puzzled about how my podium is the only one shaking and the other were steady. When the signal rang again all of us released our arrows, then my podium started breaking into pieces. I jumped right when the podium broke, and when I found the right opportunity, I released the arrow from my hands then fell to the ground so hard that the impact caused me to cry out. The arrow traveled through arrow dodging the machines in its way. It traveled so fast that the arrow pierced through the bull’s eye leaving me the winner. “ Trisha, you are … the winner?” Nisha screamed. I started to peer at the bull’s eye in my target, turns out my arrow was the first and only one to pierce the bull’s eye. I jumped up and down in joy and excitement that now I had forgot about the plan. Nisha came to me and said “ Weren’t you supposed to stick to the plan!!!”. I said “ My victory did not happen because of my archery skills, it happened because of my good heart. I know what your other plan was.” I said. Then the whole crowd broke into celebration and my whole family gave me a big hug.

Chapter 5: Epilogue

Epilogue
I received the trophy with big smile but under that smile, there was an aching heart. Even to this day, people congratulate me but that had always rubbed in Nisha’s anger. Now I knew that it was the original Nisha that I have known for years, she is the one who got betrayed by accident.

Something that inspired me to write this piece was my teacher Mr. Snyder. He gave me he best advice to write a story. I dedicate this to him.

Preferences

Preferences

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

samiksha said...
very Nice Janani. Keep up the good work

Nandhini Pandurangan BRONZE, Cupertino, California
I really wanted to rate it 5 stars but my screen froze up and it ended up rating it 1 star. 

This is a really good story. :)