This is not how it was supposed to be | Teen Ink

This is not how it was supposed to be

October 9, 2014
By Cheyennep1 BRONZE, San Jose, California
Cheyennep1 BRONZE, San Jose, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“At some point, you have to stop running and turn around and face whoever wants you dead.The hard thing is finding the courage to do it.”


Alone. Cold. Numb. The only three things my body will allow me to feel right now. The phone has already fallen to the floor. The words "accident" and "might not make it" float in my head. "He might not make it to sunrise," they said. It wasn't until now that I noticed the tears on my face. I gathered my things and rushed to the hospital. Just yesterday we were discussing our future together and now his may be taken from him. "I won't leave you, I promise," he whispered. Now fate is forcing that promise to be broken. As I burst through the hospital doors an awful smell hits me. This is the smell of latex gloves, chemicals, and sickness. This is the smell associated with bad memories. As I look to my left, I see an older couple standing outside a little girls room crying, and listening to the doctor tell them there isn't much left to do. To my right, I see a man holding a baby, his face stained with tears, holding the last thing he has left of his wife. I approach the desk and try to ask what room he is in, but you can just barely make it out through the sobs. With pitiful eyes she directs me to his room. As I run through the halls I can't help but think this is not how it's supposed to be. I shouldn't be running to my loved one who could quite possibly be hours away from taking their last breath. As I enter his room my heart shatters at the sight in front of me. His once flawless face is now covered in small cuts from where the shards of glass hit him. His left arm is in a cast, along with his right leg. There are dark circles under his eyes, and he seems almost lifeless. I sit down beside him and grab his hand. His normally warm hands are now cold and this only makes my cry harder. The ring on my finger that was meant to symbolize the promise of a future with him now sears my skin. The doctor enters the room wearing a grim expression and reading over the chart in his hands. After the words "no improvement" leave his mouth I couldn't hear anything else. It's as if an ocean of emotions has closed around me and I can't breathe. After the doctor leaves, all I can do is sit there and watch as his chest rises and falls. I can't help but think about the fact that it won't me doing this much longer. Tears make their way down my face, leaving a stinging sensation behind them. I'm going to lose him. I close my eyes and think about the words he whispered to me once before. "Nothing can make me leave you. Nothing will take me away from you, I promise!" Now here we are, waiting for this unforeseen tragedy to take place. "It wasn't supposed to be like this. You were supposed to be here with me. We were supposed to get married. Now look at you, all broken. Please don't go, please!" I say as i rest my head on the bed beside his hand. I try my hardest to pretend that this is all just a horrible nightmare, but i know that this is the harsh reality. I begin to prepare myself for what is coming, but no amount of preparation could make me ready for this. A cry of despair escapes my lips as the constant beeping around us becomes one haunting sound. The line on his heart monitor goes flat. This is not how it was supposed to be.


The author's comments:

The reason i wrote this piece is because i was trying to imagine what it would be like to lose someone you love so suddenly. I attempted to empathize with the feelings of someone going through a similar experiance and this was the result.

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences