Forgotten - A Short Story | Teen Ink

Forgotten - A Short Story

By unintoxicate BRONZE, Belton, Texas
unintoxicate BRONZE, Belton, Texas

"Karina!", he screamed, his words bouncing off the walls, exhorting fear and tragedy. The echoes were tainted with agony; the same agony that caused the once living body in his hands, to turn into a corpse.

ONE WEEK AGO

"Working on a new piece of s*** poem, Karina?"

I looked up to see the devil staring into my pale green eyes, that were slowly growing in size. "Go away.", I muttered, closing my notebook and starting to stand up.

The prick pushed me back down onto the already rickety chair. God, I hate this school. Lawrence, mostly; but the rest of the school isn't exactly great. The teachers don't give a s*** about us, the wallpaper is practically laying on the floor; and one day, while I was drinking water out of the rusty fountain, sewage came out of the spout and into my mouth.

But back to the present, the blonde haired, blue eyed, poster child of Philadelphia, was eyeing me down like a rack of fucking ribs. I saw his nose twitch in disgust before he simply walked away like nothing happened. I let out a sigh and opened my note book again.

My fingers gripped the bland pencil roughly, as if I hoped it would break. I opened my journal and turned to the page I was working on. So far, I have this;

THE TOUCH OF STARS IN THE SKY WOULD HURT LESS 

THAN DROWNING IN YOUR EYES AGAIN

THE ROUGH BURNING OF VODKA

SLIDING DOWN MY THROAT

IS MORE COMFORTING 

THAN ANY KISS YOU EVER GAVE ME

YOU SET ME ON FIRE

AND I USED SMOKE TO PUT IT OUT

I really need a cigarette, one for the nicotine, secondly to burn Lawrence's ice cold heart away. I started smoking about a year ago. My parents gave me my first one. They said if they let me try it once, I wouldn't want to do it again; that I wouldn't get addicted. What stupid fucks they are.

The last bell rang, signaling the start of winter break; or Christmas break, whatever you want to call it to not offend sensitive assholes. I jammed my notebook and pencil into my black backpack and bolted for the door. But of course it couldn't be that easy.

"Get out of my way.", I calmly told Lawrence at the doorframe. 

He smirked and motioned for me to leave. I raised my left eyebrow and took a step forward before looking back to make sure it wasn't a trick. That stupid expression was still on his face. I turned back around and sprinted for the door. 

Once I got outside, I pulled my arms into my plain grey sweatshirt and hugged myself for warmth, then I remember the smokes in my bag.

I hurriedly opened the top pouch and searched for the Marlboros hiding in the ripped book bag. "Yes.", I excitedly whisper, and pull the lighter out of the small box, as well as a fresh cigarette.

The flame took a few tries to keep it running due to the ice age currently happening. I stick the stick between my lips and light the end, inhaling the much needed nicotine. I smile between drags and sling the backpack over my shoulder after zipping it up again. 

This is going to be a good week.