Waiting for Change | Teen Ink

Waiting for Change

May 20, 2014
By Meital.S GOLD, Netanya, Other
Meital.S GOLD, Netanya, Other
13 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein


Tap. Tap. Tap. Elbows on my knees, my fingers locked into each other, waiting for him to arrive. I look to my left, I look to my right – nothing. My blue jeans almost touch my ankle-high socks, which peek out from my old, scruffy sneakers. The wind is blowing, but instead of my long curly hair going along with it, it blows everywhere and all over my face. As I try to fix it and straighten my stubborn curls, I see him.

He's standing across the street, a little white box in his hand. I sigh with relief and flash him a smile, hoping he'll see that I can see him. He doesn't. He lights the cigarette in his mouth and crosses the busy street that separates us. Cars drive before and after him, and a few moments later, he stands in front of me. I look up at his face, and then stand up. My hands behind my back, my eyes looking everywhere around him, and my lips twisted with discomfort, I decide to break the silence.

"Did you bring it?"

"What do you think?" he says as he takes the cigarette out of his mouth. His smile was the perfect answer to any question. It was simple and natural; not arrogant nor used as an attempt to charm girls and get them to fall for him. He didn't have to try – I was already head over heels. My only concern was that I would crash.

I smile back, looking at my sneakers. Moving my hair behind my ear then moving it back again, I open my mouth to speak, but forget what I wanted to say.

He opens the little white box, in it being a key. The key to my happiness, the key to my success, the key to help fight the over-baring, programmed, thoughtless system; but mostly – it was the key to Mrs. Hartman's apartment. He holds it up in front of me, and just as I was about to grab it he moves it closer to him. While his magical blue eyes stare both at the key and at me, he moves his lips, but thanks to the huge truck behind him I can't hear a word. I didn’t need to; he was obviously reminding me to pay up my part of the deal. I take out the folded bills of cash from my back pocket and follow him to the nearest liquor store.

As I stare at his black and white striped sweater – which he wore a lot, due to lack of cloths – I can't help but feel ecstatic. There I was, not only spending measured time with the shyest and most polite bad boy I knew, I was also on my way to acing the biggest math exam of my high-school life.

"A six pack and one bottle of Grey Goose" he gives me a stern look as if he was a professor and I ought to be taking notes. I simply nod and walk over to the 24 hour market right next to us.

I look down at my pale pink blouse and debate on whether or not should I unbutton the collar. I look at the guy standing near the cash register – a 20 year old dork with glasses. This was going to be easy. After strolling through the aisles, looking for the drinks on my list, I put them carefully on the counter and smile politely at the cashier. He smiles back and continues to look up at me as he notices my items.

"Can I see some ID, please?" he asks as he pushes up his glasses.

"Sure" I respond casually. As I reach out my hand to my back pocket, I grab the gun tucked in my pants and point it at him. "Now listen" I look over at his nametag "Craig. You're going to pay for those drinks, and then you're going to bag them for me real nice. Got it?"

Craig nods quickly, as sweat starts to drip from his forehead. He does as I say and moves the bags towards me.

"Good boy" I say as I clench on to my gun with both hands. "Now" I look at my next target "Open the chase register."

"I…I don't know the code." He tries to explain.

"Don't play dumb with me, Craig" I quickly say with a smirk. "Unless you want to have only one ear" I move the gun towards the left side of his head. Then I lower it to his chest. "Or no heart".

He nods once more and does as I say. $1,400. Jackpot. I shove the money in all my pockets, tuck the gun in the back of my pants, grab on to my bags and slowly walk away.

"Have a nice day, Craig" I wish him, then walk away. Craig awkwardly waves and tries to stay calm.

"Here" I hand him the bags and the cash. "Now; give me the key, please" I reach out my hand with a cold expression, trying not to look at him.

"Wow". He starts to laugh as he hands me the little white box. "I didn't think you'd have the guts to do it".

"Neither did I" I close my hand and trap the box with my fingers. "Nice doing business with you, Danny"

"Likewise".

I start to walk away, gently putting the box in my back pocket.

"Hey" Danny calls out to me. I turn around. "Mrs. Hartman probably hid the test somewhere tricky. You could use another set of hands"

I can't help but grin. "Are you suggesting yours?"

He nods as he tucks his hands in his front pockets.

"Okay, cool." I say, then he catches up to me and we walk together to Mrs. Hartman's apartment.

Love and good grades. Who knew they could go together? This day was coming along quite nicely. The only thing that could ruin it was if I were arrested for armed robbery.