Switched in Summer | Teen Ink

Switched in Summer

April 17, 2014
By TWIN22 BRONZE, Faribault, Minnesota
TWIN22 BRONZE, Faribault, Minnesota
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I had been going to that café on the North shore of Lake Superior every day for well over a year, but nothing exciting had ever happened until that day. He came in shortly after me, and I kept my eye on him as he sat down at the table next to mine. As I turned my gaze back to my book, I saw him stand up. He then proceeded to walk toward my table. He introduced himself as Aaric, and I replied, “Hi, I’m Rachael.” After giving him permission to sit down, we talked the rest of the morning.

The next day, Aaric was walking by the café, when he looked in the window and saw a girl who looked exactly like Rachael. He walked into the café, ordered, and then sat at her table. They talked all day. He continued to come every day for two weeks, with the same routine every time. After two weeks, Aaric told the girl that he wanted to take her to the orphanage that he volunteered at. He came to the café every day for the next week, picked up the girl, and drove to the orphanage where they played and hung out with the kids all day.

On Sunday, I had showed up at the café a little bit late. Aaric jumped up and rushed over, telling me that he was worried that I wouldn’t show up. “Sorry, there was a little bit of a traffic jam because of the carnival this week,” I told him. “That is what I wanted to talk to you about,” he said. “I don’t really care to stick around when the town is so overcrowded, I was going to go to the carnival tomorrow night and then go on a camping trip on Tuesday, and I was wondering if you wanted to go with.” “Yeah,” I replied. “I loooooove going camping and I also heard that the weather is going to be amazingly perfect this week.”

Walking into the café on Monday morning, I was super pumped to discuss the plans for our trip. “Tonight, I will load up my canoe before going to the carnival, that way I can pick you up early on Tuesday and we can be on our way,” said Aaric. “That sounds great! I am going to make sure I have all of my stuff packed tonight before going to the carnival.” I replied. “Maybe I will see you at the carnival then.” “Maybe,” I replied. “Bye!”

Aaric went over to the girl and said, “Want some cheese curds? They are my favorite carnival food.” “Sure, as long as I can get a warm hot dog and some French fries.” She replied. “I think I saw the food stand over there,” Aaric observed. “Let’s go!” After getting their food, the two sat down to talk and eat. “That was really good food Aaric, there’s nothing like carnival food.” “Yeah, do you want to go play some games?” “Sure, let’s go!” Aaric won her a few stuffed animals and they both went home.

On Tuesday, I woke up extra early and set all my stuff by the front door. He showed up a little early, so I could tell that he was just as excited as I was. We put all my stuff in his truck and left. As soon as we got to our camping spot, we both set up our tents and then unloaded everything. We built up a huge bonfire and ate hotdogs and s’mores for supper. Our routine basically stayed the same that week, with the interchanging of fishing, swimming, and canoeing throughout the day.

Friday night as we were packing up to leave the next morning I remembered that I had forgotten something. “Aaric, could you do me a favor tomorrow?” “Sure, Rachael, what is it?” “I forgot that I needed to go to my parents’ house tomorrow, and they told me to come early in the afternoon. Do you think that we could swing by?” “Yeah, I think we can manage that.” “Thanks, goodnight!” “Goodnight.”

The next morning, we got up, ate breakfast, and hit the road. I gave him directions once we were back in town, and we reached my parents’ house at three o’clock. “Come in for a sec and I’ll introduce you to everyone.” “Ummm, okay.” Aaric replied. My parents being the snoops that they are met us at the front door. “Mom, dad, this is Aaric.” “Aaric, this is my identical twin sister, Madi!”