Suicide Savior | Teen Ink

Suicide Savior

By Hbkooy PLATINUM, Champaign, Illinois
Hbkooy PLATINUM, Champaign, Illinois

Sarah walked out of her house and stared up at the darkened sky. Raindrops shot the ground like tiny bullets, and the harsh shower stung her already wet face. As she trudged along the rocky road, she crashed to the ground as her foot dropped into a pothole.

“Stupid lazy construction workers,” she mumbled, picking herself up. Sarah continued on, ignoring the sharp rocks digging into her skin. Thunder roared overhead, and Sarah walked even faster, not in any rush to escape the storm, but to get to her destination. Lightning illuminated the sky, and Sarah watched the bridge in awe. The shaking strings holding up the bridge threatening to give way at any moment formed a lump in Sarah’s throat, and shook her head, angry that the bridge’s safety was worrying her. She walked over the edge of it and carefully stood up on top. As Sarah looked into the swirling pool below, she rubbed her stomach, grimacing at the round shape it had acquired over the past few months. A dog barked in the distance, and it raced over to the bridge, not seeing, but sensing the danger looming.

“Slow down!” cried the man holding the dog’s leash. Tears dribbled down Sarah’s face, and she worked up the nerve to jump. She thought of all of the events leading up to it: getting raped on her way home from her dead-end job, her boyfriend leaving her, and her house being repossessed.

“This is it,” Sarah sighed, and she stepped forward. Sarah shrieked in pain as teeth closed around her arm. Her skin ripped as she was yanked back onto the bridge.

“What the hell!?!” she screamed at the man standing before her.

“I’m sorry, are you hurt?” he asked, picking her up.

“What do you think?” Sarah cried, waving her arm in front of his face. Blood poured onto the ground, and her flesh dangled loosely from her arm.

“Oh my gosh!” the man said in horror. “Come with me!” He dragged her to the nearby hospital, and checked her into a room. Sarah’s eyes burned from the bright white light, and she was paralyzed with fear as she was pulled from room to room to be examined. A pain killer, x-rays, and stitches later, Sarah sat alone in the tiny room. The man walked in, and when he saw her cleaned up face, her gasped. Sarah noticed the soaked man dripping onto the floor.

“Well, don’t be shy!” She snapped at him. He walked in, and Sarah smirked at his shaking legs.

“Are you okay now?” he asked nervously.

“Not really, I was trying to end my life,” Sarah said grumpily.

“Why would a pretty lady like you want to do that?” he asked, taking a seat on her bed. Like a waterfall, the past month flowed out of Sarah, and the man listened intently. After she was done, Sarah burst into tears. Without a word, the man leaned in and kissed her. Sarah was lost in his lips, and as he pulled back, she reached out to him.

“I don’t even know your name!” she gasped with sudden realization. He smiled, and suddenly Sarah could see how handsome he looked.

“I’m sorry,” he said, running his fingers through his wet, blonde hair. “My name is Joseph, but you can call me Joe,”

“Well, Joe, thank you,” Sarah said. “For saving me, I mean.” They talked for a long time, and after Sarah was released, Joe led her outside. A pit bull smiled up at them. Sarah backed away slowly, and Joe laughed.

“Sarah, this is who saved you,” Joe said, patting the dog on the head. Sarah gave the dog a hesitant pat on the head, and he licked her. Sarah giggled as the dog flopped onto his back in hopes of a belly rub.

“Come on,” Joe said, grabbing Sarah’s hand. “Let’s go home.”

“But, I don’t have a home,” Sarah started. Joe gave her another kiss and looked right into her soft, blue eyes.

“Beautiful, you can stay with me for as long as you like,”

Sarah nodded gratefully, and they ran back to his house, Sarah’s thoughts of suicide completely abolished.