Hidden | Teen Ink

Hidden

By Smile,Iloveyou SILVER, Valdosta, Georgia
Smile,Iloveyou SILVER, Valdosta, Georgia

"Writing eases my suffering. Its my souls medicine. I write what I want to write about. I write when I hurt. I write what I fear. Writing is my form of personal freedom. I write to save myself. I write to survive as an individual." -Unknown.

I looked in the mirror one last time to make sure everything was perfect. My curly, frizzy, auburn hair rested ever so gently on my shoulders. My light blue eyes stared back at me. The makeup was covering up everything I was trying to hide.

“Spencer! Hurry Up! We are going to be late!” Miranda yells up the stairs.

I heard her put her dishes in the sink and make sure she had everything ready for school. My makeup and outfit looked perfect. My long sleeve navy blue shirt fight nice and snug, and my orange and navy blue anchor scarf covered my neck, as for my legs, dark skinny jeans with a few tears in them and my black sperrys clung to my feet. I sprinted to my room to find my wrist brace.

“Come on! It has to be here some!” I muttered to myself.

I searched in all my usual places and it was nowhere to be found. Allie, my golden retriever puppy came crawling out from under my bed with my brace in her mouth.

“Bad puppy!” I say as I rub her on the head, I hated punishing her so I very rarely did.

I slide the brace on my left wrist and headed down the stairs with my cheetah print book bag on my shoulder. I looked at the clock at it was 7:06, no time for breakfast. Miranda, my sister was waiting on our front steps waiting for me. Looking at her and I, you would think one of us was adopted. She had long blonde hair with bright hazel eyes and the most perfect smile. She was a year older than me making her a senior.

“Sorry, I had to find my brace.”

“Whatever.” She says getting up and swinging her book bag on her left shoulder. We both slammed our doors at the same time and I started up my 2010 Ford Focus.

“Could you put on any more makeup? Seriously, no wonder you go through foundation so fast.”

If only you knew what the makeup was covering up. I thought to myself.

“And why are you wearing long sleeves and pants in 90 degree weather?”

“Would you just shut up!” I say while switching the radio station.

After that it was a very silent trip to school. It didn’t take us long to get there and we found a parking spot right up front. Before I even put the car in park Miranda was unbuckled, and out of the car. I saw her bounce off to meet her friends.

Time for the act. I grabbed my bag from the back seat and got out of the car. I instantly saw my friends.

“Well there she is!” Matthew yelled towards me.

I got a knot in my stomach that went away a few seconds later. I forced a smile and pulled my hair behind my ear.

“How’s the wrist?” He asked .

“Better. Thanks.”

He reached for my good hand and we walked towards my first period. I’d been putting up this act for so long now that I forgot who I actually was. I told everyone that I sprained my wrist in a volleyball accident, and that the reason I wore long sleeves and pants all the time was cause I burned easily. But I actually wore them to cover up what was hiding underneath.

“Well here’s my class.” I turned to walk in the door but before I could he grabbed my bad wrist.

“How many times do I have to say I’m sorry? I love you and I promise it won’t happen again.”

“I know.” I say looking into his eyes, and with that I turned and walked into my first period. I took my seat next to Samantha and pulled out my notebook.

Sometimes I wish I could tell someone, anyone about what’s going on. I’m hidden. The bruises are hidden, my emotions are hidden. Everything is hidden. I feel like I’m hiding behind a smile. I don’t want to wear all the makeup anymore; I want to wear shorts and a tank top again…. I want to take down the mask.

“Whatcha writing?” Sam asked me.

“Nothing, just a reminder to do my History project.” I forced a smile.

“It was Matthew again wasn’t it?” she whispered.

Sam was my best friend and I told her everything, and she was the only one to know about Matthew.

“Its no big deal ok? He didn’t mean to, it happened at Hannah’s party last week, and he had a little to much to drink ok?” I whispered back.

“This isn’t the first time Spencer! You need to do something, tell someone, he needs to be stopped before it gets to out of control!” She replied with an angry tone.

I got up and ran out the room. I didn’t want to talk about this, I just wanted to run. I ran to the parking lot and fell to my knees. I knew Sam was right behind me, and I felt her bed down and pull me in close for a hug.

“I don’t want to hide anymore!” I say while sobbing into her shoulder.

“I know hun, and I know jjust who can help. Come on.”

She helped me get up and we walked to her car. I sent a quick text to Miranda telling her Sam was taking me home cause I wasn’t feeling well and she could drive home. Sam pulled into our local police station and I knew who she was taking me to talk to. Her dad was a police and she knew that he could help.

We walked in side by side, her holding my hand and guiding me. The second her dad saw us he knew something was wrong. I told him everything. How the past two years Matthew had been using me as a punching bag and I’d been covering it up. Finally when I was done talking they called my parents to come get me. They also had someone go pick up Matthew to get his side of the story. Sam held my hand the whole time and I don’t know what I would have done had she not been there.

My parents and Miranda arrived. Miranda was the first one to come running towards me, her arms open for a hug. I met her halfway and the second I felt her arms wrap around me the tears came falling down my face.

“Why didn’t you tell me? I’m so sorry. I love you.” She whispered in my ear.

Sam’s dad told my parents everything and then I was able to go home. My family let me go up stairs without following me. The first thing I did was start a nice hot shower. I undressed and stepped in. The makeup came washing up, and the bruises were bright blue and finally able to breathe, and I was finally able to handle this and know it would never happen again. I turned off the water and stepped out, wrapped a towel around me. I looked in the mirror and finally saw the real me, the girl not covered in layers and layers of makeup. For the first time in a long time, I smiled. I changed into my pajamas and started down stairs. Half way there I wanted to run up the stairs and change.

No, its time to do this. You don’t have to hide anymore.

I stepped down the stairs and felt everyone’s eyes on me. For the first time, the all were able to see my bruises, and for the first time in two years I was wearing shorts and a tank top. I was no longer going to hide behind a smile, and I was no longer hidden.