Priorities, My Friends... | Teen Ink

Priorities, My Friends...

By justdoit123 SILVER, Hemet, California
justdoit123 SILVER, Hemet, California

"I don't need easy. I just need possible"-Bethany Hamilton

"Ok, I'll be there in 10- shh… I hear someone, I got to go," She hung up the phone as fast as she had answered it, the light glow of the screen quickly fading into the darkness. She pulled up the covers and hoped he hadn't seen the small crack of light under her promptly closed bedroom door. Heart beating, she breathed slowly as the door creaked open and the heavy footsteps dragged across the tired carpet. Avoiding eye contact with her watching father, she felt his stare glaring into her soul. The question practically crawled out of his mouth as he waited for the expected answer.

"Lola, it's midnight, what are you doing on your phone? You know you have school in the morning."

The grumbled response couldn't hide the strangely wide awake tone in her voice. "Dad, I'm trying to sleep. I wasn't even on the phone."

"Don't lie to me!" Her father screamed as he ripped off the bedspread. In her mind, she was glad she had decided to keep her pajamas on instead of changing into her jeans yet.

"Dad just go to bed, we've had a long day." Slowly but surely, he backed off, walked away and slammed the door behind him.

Shooting up from the bed, Lola took the chance while he was gone. She quickly threw on her blue jeans and flip flops and put her hair in a ponytail. Her hand fumbled for her sweatshirt in the darkness, and then grabbed the latch on the window. The cool breeze blew back her hair as the pane opened. With that wind came the doubt. She couldn't help but wonder if she should do this or not. What would happen? It couldn't be that bad, could it? After debating for a long .47 seconds, she climbed out the window.

Her feet hit the grass below, and she was off. A quick text to Eve was the only thing to delay her, "omw… almost caught. we r still good tho." She sprinted through the dimly lit streets and stopped once to check her phone, "kk. backdoors open." A grin followed by a small cackle sent her on her path again.

As she approached Eve's house, she saw the familiar beam of a flashlight signaling her towards the correct door. Like promised, the back screen door was open just enough for it not to be noticed by Eve's parents when doing their rounds at night. Lola's quiet tiptoe led her up the staircase and into the designated spot.

"Close the door behind you," Eve whispered.

"You're not lying to me?" Lola began. "You really found them? We've been waiting for so long…" Her gaze drifted to the small box sitting on the floor in between them. How had she missed them?

"They were in the back of his closet underneath his winter coats." The two girls caved to their knees and began their long awaited award. Lola's phone lay on the floor, revealing the first text from Eve earlier that night that started it all.

"I found my brother's secret stash of Oreos…"