The robbery | Teen Ink

The robbery

By Cbermudez GOLD, Covington, Louisiana
Cbermudez GOLD, Covington, Louisiana

•Free as a bird•

What am I doing? He thinks. He knows that he shouldn't be doing this, but the moment he hears the sound of the glass shattering all over the floor, he realizes it's too late. He climbs through the window and think, I'll just take a few things then leave. He keeps reciting to himself that it has to be done. He justifies this by saying how he needs the money more than these people do. How else is his mom going to be able to pay off this months rent? And his nine year old sister, Sarah. She wants to take gymnastics so bad but she doesn't want to ask her mom, knowing she can't afford it. Now, his mom won't have to worry about the bills, and his sister can do gymnastics. So what if he takes a few things? It's obvious that this unknown family has money. They probably won't even notice that a few things are missing.

He slowly walks throughout the house knowing that no one is home from the fact that he just watched a car full of people leave and no lights are on. He finds himself in a kitchen and decides to take some food so him family doesn't have to worry about purchasing or not having enough food on the table. He grabs cans of green beans, corn, and assorted soups, some apples, and a roll of Toll House cookie dough, knowing it'll make Sarah smile. Then, he goes to the living room, but found nothing worth taking. Finally, he walks into the master bedroom that's bigger than the entire apartment his family lives in. He goes straight to the closet, knowing that's where valuable jewelry will most likely be found. He was right. Under piles of clothing, in the corner of the closet, lays a jewelry box. He opens it up and is struck with delight when he sees an abundance of expensive looking necklaces, earrings, rings, and bracelets. He takes a necklace with a heart pendant that has "Tiffany & Co." engraved on it, and another one with a pendent that has a large diamond in the middle and several tiny sapphires surrounding it. He also takes a pair of emerald earrings, pearl drop earrings, and a diamond ring. Then, he grabs an iPad and puts it in the same bag he put the food and jewelry in.

He makes his way upstairs and opens the first door to the left. As soon as he opens the door, he knows its a little girl's room. The walls are white with pink polka dotted wall paper. On the bed, lies a floral comforter, and so many stuffed animals, you'd think you were in Toys R Us. This girl has so many that she probably wouldn't even notice if I took one for Sarah. So he did. He decided to take a small, plush, blue unicorn with a multicolored horn. He then rummaged through the girl's clothing to see if he could find some cash but ended up finding something completely different... A leotard. The young girl does gymnastics and she's probably around nine years old. Like Sarah. She doesn't deserve this. Just because she's more fortunate doesn't mean her stuff should be takin from her. That's it, I can't go through with this. I can't take things from this innocent family. I'll get a job. I'll get a job that pays good. I'll try hard in school so I can get a scholarship and graduate college and then get an even better job. Then, Sarah and my mom can live with me. They won't have to worry about anything. I need to step up and be the man of the house. Sarah deserves someone to take care of her. So, he goes throughout the house and puts up everything he took. He puts up the unicorn, the necklaces, the bracelets, the rings and earrings, the iPad, and even the food.

Satisfied with his decision to not go through with it, he walks through the front door and is struck with fear when he sees red and blue lights flashing in the driveway. The police.

"Hold it right there! Put your hands where I can see them! Get on the ground. Now!"

He does as he's told, laying face first while trembling.

I can't believe this is actually happening.

He can hear the footsteps of the approaching officer then feels the cool metal of the handcuffs constricting themselves around his wrists.

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?"

But everything the police officer was saying to him, was just background noise. This isn't happening. It's just a dream. I'll wake up any second in the comfort of my home. I had a plan! I was gonna go to college! Help Sarah and my mom! But now I'm going to jail! Jail! I can't go to jail! My mom won't be able to pay the bail and I don't want that stress on her. And what am I gonna say to Sarah? She looks up to me! I'm her big brother. She won't understand. She too sweet and innocent. Oh gosh, what was I thinking?!"

His thoughts were interrupted by the police officer pushing him into the back of the car.
This is it. I'm getting arrested.