Arsenal's Title Relief | Teen Ink

Arsenal's Title Relief

December 16, 2013
By Gavin Rushnell BRONZE, Malabar, Florida
Gavin Rushnell BRONZE, Malabar, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Per Mertesacker clears the ball into the stands for what feels like the millionth time. He turns to the referee, impatiently demanding to know how much stoppage time is left. The referee glances at his watch, there are just seconds left in the game. The date is May 3rd, 2014. Arsenal lead West Bromwich Albion (West Brom) 2-0. Olivier Giroud scored the opener with a world class header from around the penalty spot in the 32’ minute. Lukas Podolski, who came on as a substitute in the 63’ minute scores an absolute belter from 26 yards out in the 79’ minute. Manchester City have lost their game against Everton 0-1. This opens the door to an Arsenal championship if they win the game.

Then it happens, the referee blows his whistle. The 60,000 fans tightly packed into the Emirates Stadium go completely berserk. It is over, Arsenal are champions of the Premier League. A decade of waiting has taught the fans to appreciate the good times. Mertesacker turns and is fully embraced by his Center back partner, Laurent Koscielny. The 2 have been the foundation of the defense, winning 12 points for the team in game saving plays. Arsenal now lead the table with 37 games played, 78 points. 2nd place goes to Manchester City who have 37 games played, 74 points. There is one more game but Arsenal have mathematically won the title.

Aaron Ramsey picks up the ball and punts it into the stands. He has already won PFA’s player of the year but the Premier League title is the trophy he really wanted to lift. The captain, Mikel Arteta, lifts the trophy into the air with a huge sigh of relief. The thoughts in his mind are of sheer joy and relief. He is embraced by the team. Bacary Sagna, who has announced his retirement, says goodbye as this is his last game of football he will play. It is the perfect goodbye. In the stands fans sing goodbye to him.

On the touchline, one man stands alone, arms raised aloft in salute to the skies, his red tie flapping in the wind. Arsene Wenger has masterminded Arsenal’s triumph, overcoming doubts and criticism that have persisted for many years. This is his redemption. This is his moment. In years to come, perhaps this solitary pose will be the one recreated for the statue of the Frenchman that will inevitably adorn the Emirates Stadium’s future.
Arsenal celebrate long in to the night, and then beyond in to the summer. Ten years of waiting have taught them to appreciate the good times.

Arsenal are champions—and they won’t let go of the trophy without a fight.