One Of A Kind | Teen Ink

One Of A Kind

By Chayse Ramos BRONZE, Stockton, California
Chayse Ramos BRONZE, Stockton, California

Jason Smith, a tall, tan thirteen year old boy that grew up in Hawaii. It was the decision of the court whether or not if Jason gets to continue to live in Hawaii. The court was over and his mother won full custody of Jason. Jason drooped with sorrow; he walked to the car and slowly teared up. Jason’s father finally got to the car and he said, “Get in sonny boy.”
Jason’s father voice was soft. They drove down to their house, for Jason to pack up and get ready to move to Los Angeles with his terrible mother. The car engine was silent, so were Jason and his father, while driving down the long narrow street.
“I don’t want to leave you!’’ Jason cried.
“I’m sorry sonny; it’s not in my authority,” his dad said.
After the long car ride home, Jason climbed the stairs and into his room. He started packing for his dreadful trip. Jason looked around. Thinking of all his memories, joy, and is now forced to leave it. His father was waiting by the door, ready to say goodbyes, but Jason didn’t want to say goodbye. Jason dropped his bags and went in for a hug, and opened the door without a goodbye.
“I love you dad,” he murmured.
Outside the door his mother was waiting, or Sandra. Sandra was already yelling at Jason for taking too long. Jason got into the car and waved to his dad and they were off towards the airport. It was a long ride, giving Jason time to think about his situation and then he had an idea, but his mother slammed on the brakes and they arrived at the airport. Jason’s idea was gone. Jason and Sandra went through security, and finally boarded the plane. They sat down and Jason began to day dream, just like that the flight was over. Jason and Sandra got a cab, and drove off to Sandra’s house. When they got there, Jason immediately walked up the front door stairs, right into the house. Jason remembered this house before his parents’ divorce. He got to his room and sat down.
“C’mon J you need to get to school!” Sandra shouted.
Even though it was already in the middle of the day, Jason obeyed and walked out of the house. He asked where the school was and started to walk off. Jason walked down the street looking at familiar sights and he found his high school. Jason opened the door, and walked into the school looking for the main office.
“Excuse me, can I help you?” a woman said.
“Yes ma’am looking for a schedule and my parents got divorced and my “Mother” said she put me in this school.”
The lady waved Jason to come this way and he got his schedule and was off to science. Jason was thinking, what if he’s not going to fit in. He opened the door and the class was now his audience, he said, “Hi, I’m Jason. I’m new here.”
He took a seat, and two kids immediately questioned Jason.
“Where you from Jason,” Ashley questioned.
“Hi,” Austin said.
“Blah Blah Blah,” they both went on.
Jason heard nothing but his thoughts. The day went by, Jason kept himself isolated from kids, but these kids were persistent. The kids from earlier came back, in a nicer fashion. They introduced themselves.
“Hey, I’m Ashley and this is Austin,” Ashley waved.
“Sup,” Austin Whispered.
“I don’t know how this works so um do you guys want to be friends,” Jason asked.
Austin looked at Ashley and they both nodded, laughing a bit, after this they started hanging out, more and more. Now that I have you up to date, let’s go to present day…….

January 12, 2015.
“Jason get up!” Sandra yelled.
Jason moped out of bed, into the shower; he got out, put on clothes and ran down stairs,
“Bye Sandra.” He yelled running out the door. Jason met up with Austin and Ashley outside his house, and they all walked to school together. They were chatting about how they wish they were older and Jason was going to say his thoughts, but they reached their destination, and all of them parted ways, leaving Jason alone with his thoughts.
“Don’t mess up, don’t be a fool.” He thought walking up to Ashley and her friends.

“Hey Ashley,” Jason whispered.

“Hey Jason, guys this is Jason, Jason girls,” Ashley shouted to the crowd.

Ashley shouted “Just stay away he’s mine!” she laughed

Jason blushed, that single sentence had made his life a little bit better, and the problem was he didn’t know if she was playing. Jason hoped she was, but the bell rang and all of the girls left, he walked to his class alone. Jason just thought to himself, “YES, she likes me!”
Then he ran into somebody, it was Austin.
“What’s up man?” Austin said.
“Nothing, just very happy man.”
“For?”
“Ashley might have a little crush on me….”
Austin gave Jason a crazed look.
“Ashley, the one we hang out with?”
Jason was quizzical.
“Yes?”
Austin looked at him and socked Jason right in his nose; Jason was on the floor bleeding.

“Stay away from my girl, you hear that,” Austin said crazily

Jason, from the time he met Ashley and Austin, didn’t know that they were dating; he covered his nose and walked into math class and all the kids eyes were on Jason and they knew he was bleeding. The teacher rushed to help him and the kids laughed but the teacher quieted them quick and Jason’s nose bruised and continued bleeding, the teacher asked.

“Who did this to you Jason, do you remember?”

Jason was scared to rat out Austin, so he just said “I don’t remember,” his voice was soft.
Jason asked his teacher if he go into the office for the day and when he was walking he thought to himself.
“Why did I have to be so dumb, I didn’t know, I want to leave this hellhole!”
He blamed himself, not Austin. Ashamed he started crying and the principle, Mrs. Ramirez rushed towards Jason and asked him
“What’s wrong hun?”
He ignored her and took a seat and just cried and wanted to go back to Hawaii. Jason got up from his seat and whipped his tears and walked towards the main office. Jason asked to use the assistant’s phone, and dial his house number.

“Who’s this, what do you want?” Sandra shouted.

“Sandra pick me up…” Jason’s voice was spineless in a sense.
Sandra said she’d be there in a few and hung up.

Jason sat down and thought of ways to rid this problem, but for that few seconds of thinking the world was silent and still. Jason thought now he wouldn’t have any friends, he lost them because he couldn’t see the obvious. Jason knew one thing for sure he wanted Ashley, even with Austin in the way. Jason thought of what he could do to get Ashley, he went home that day and just laid in his bed thinking. Jason had thought of the perfect plan to earn the love of Ashley.

This is original