Pianist | Teen Ink

Pianist

By YungGodess BRONZE, Greensboro, North Carolina
YungGodess BRONZE, Greensboro, North Carolina

I lost myself in the music as my finger tips played on the piano to Stevie Wonder's "Isn't she lovely".I began to cry as I thought of how my dad used to play this song for me as a child. Last week marked 1 year since he had passed away.My dad had taught me everything I needed to know about music."Naylah come down;it's time for breakfast!" yelled my mom from downstairs. I wiped my tears with my shirt and scurried down. I sat in silence thinking of how much my life had changed."Have you thought about any schools you would like to attend?" asked my mom."No." I answered dryly. I hated when she asked these questions. "Well you better be deciding,graduation is only a few months away." She was preaching to the choir. After breakfast,I sat on my bed and watched another episode of "Ridiculousness" on MTV. As a commercial came on;Pharrell Williams appeared on my TV. This man was my idol.I loved the fact that he could work with any artist,from any genre of music.There was no doubt in my mind what I wanted to do after high school.Music was the only rout for me.I hopped back on my piano and played around for about an hour.I needed to get my name out there to schools who specialized in music.I looked online for auditions.I discovered that New York school of music was holding an audition next Tuesday on the 20th. On the Tuesday of auditions,I was tired and worn out from school. I contemplated about heading home;the thought of rejection haunted me. My best friend Cory talked me out of it. "Naylah,this had been your dream;you're about to miss out on a once in a lifetime opportunity." I reluctantly listened and headed on over to the auditions that afternoon.I hurried over downtown and entered an abandoned building. I stood in line and looked at all of my competition. Some guy was in the corner playing Etta James'"At last" on the saxophone.This guy could really blow."Naylah Harris!" A random lady with dreads called my name for my audition.As I walked to the back room;I kissed the necklace my dad gave me,for good luck.I sat up my piano equipment and played "Butterflyz" by Alicia Keys. I closed my eyes and played every note with intensity.When I was finished,I couldn't read the judges faces.The next day I almost went insane of wondering if I would be accepted.Two weeks had passed,and I was sure no one would contact me."Naylah!You have a call from NYSM!" yelled my mom. I leaped from my bed and picked up the other line "Hello?" I said nervously."Wassup!This is Yuri Frazier from New York's school of music,we thought about your piano performance,and would be honored for you to attend NYSM." I nearly screamed from excitement."Thank-you so much" I replied.I kissed my dads necklace,and knew he was shining down on me from Heaven.

I wrote this to show that you should follow your passion no matter how unsure you feel. This goes out to anyone who has lost someone,that left a mark on their life.