Hunter and Hunted: Story 1 | Teen Ink

Hunter and Hunted: Story 1

By Miniterror GOLD, Yuma, Arizona
Miniterror GOLD, Yuma, Arizona

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16

They’re coming! I can see their great shadows spread across the sand and I hear the scurrying of the other animals around me. I glance up at the sky to see the creatures that have forever been the fear of the land; the raptors that visit every day to snatch away a life.

I scurry under the nearest bush and put my ears down to avoid being seen. I’m sure it will work, nothing can see me from the top of a saguaro cactus; not even a hawk. I can see two of them sitting way up at the top of the cactus, searching the ground for the signs of prey. They can’t see me here, of course; not under this bush.

Then I hear them; the younger ones; the hawks that hatched last year and have grown strong under their parents’ care. They stalk along the desert sand; spreading their wings and jumping up and down in a very frightening manner. I see a few of my fellow creatures stir in their hiding places, clearly frightened by the gesture, but they do not run. I must control myself, the hawk cannot reach me when I am under the bush. The young hawk turns my direction and begins walking toward my hiding spot. My heart begins to race and my breathing quickens. He’s going to find me; he’s going to get me! I have to run! Every muscle in my body is trying to run the opposite direction, but my mind stands firm.

Or not! The hawk spreads its wings and releases a loud screech as I run from my hiding place into the open area. I hear a responding screech from above as another joins the chase. The humongous shadow appears over me and I turn to my left as the claws grab the earth where I had just been running. I see to cacti ahead; mere inches apart. The gap is big enough for me to squeeze through, but not for the hawk with her long wingspan. I jump through, a needle leaving a scratch in my side, and continue to run as I wait for the thud of the hawk hitting the cactus; but no such sound reaches my ears. I turn my head slightly and see the large claw of the raptor just above me.
I am a fool, I have begun running towards the sun, protecting the beast’s shadow from my eyes. I attempt to turn away from the sun again but the long claws sink into my side, releasing a pain that I have never met before. It ravages my body, which has now gone limp with shock as I rise into the air towards their cactus-top nest.
This is the end.

I was inspired to write this piece by the series "North America" on T.V.
I will be regularly posting stories like this to expose the dark side of nature.