Destination | Teen Ink

Destination

September 24, 2013
By Meital.S GOLD, Netanya, Other
Meital.S GOLD, Netanya, Other
13 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein


It was a bright Sunday morning in Los Angles, but to Daphne it felt like there was a hurricane nearby. She was in LAX airport, sitting in the arrivals on an uncomfortable seat, used by many people before her. Anyone who took a quick glimpse at her could tell she was nervous; she was tapping her right foot on the floor and bighting her lip. Her hands locked into each other as she looked around her. People were everywhere. Some were running, some sitting, and others walking by causally. They were all there for a reason. They each had their purpose. They had a place to go, or maybe a person to see.
As Daphne stared at the different people around her she wished she could switch lives with them, just for a second. Just to not be in the nerve racking position she was in, even for a moment. Like the many people she was observing, she too was waiting for someone. She began gently rubbing her thighs, with her slightly shaky hands while she looked over at the landing chart. Flight 271 from Manhattan, New York hadn't landed yet. It was being delayed. New York. Those 2 words went through Daphne's mind with disgust. The only way she could think about that state, was how it took a dear person away from her. Someone she shouldn't have lived without, but had no choice.
She checked her watch, and realized that only 10 minutes have passed. To her it felt like eternity. She felt like she couldn't wait any more then she already had; she had to see him again. It had been a long time. Far too long. The last time she saw him, things didn't go so well. It ended with him moving 3,000 miles away. As she thought of that day, she suddenly remembered that he never actually said goodbye. The heart break she felt at the time was reappearing right then and there, at LAX airport. She shook her head quickly, in hope the unsettling feeling would be shaken off with it. She had to move on from that day. That part of Daphne's life was over; the part she had spent without him. Things were about to change for the better.
She looked over at the landing chart again. Flight 271 was no longer listed as delayed. It was now marked as 'landed'. Her heart skipped at beat. Landed; Daphne thought to herself. He arrived. For the first time in a while they were going to be on the same time zone. That thought made her beyond happy. But not as happy as she was when she saw him walking through the airport a few minutes later. He was holding a small suitcase in his hand. A smile finally spread across her still slightly heartbroken face. She rose up from her seat, and slowly walked in his direction. Her heart was pounding. He was here. He was actually here. She stopped and waved, trying to catch his attention. He was moving through the crown, looking for her. His green eyes sparkled with thrill when he saw her. So did hers. He walked over to her quickly with a wide open smile, partly from disbelief. Their feet stopped as soon as they stood in front of each other. Unsure how to greet her, he gestured with his arms by moving them in surprise.
"Daphne" he said, amazed by her presence. "I…you look…" he tried to continue."Wow" he stated with a charming smile. "I missed you so much" he explained, with sincerity in his eyes. Daphne smiled back, bashful. She looked down. She was still in shock; he was really there, standing in front of her. She had pictured this moment an infinite number of times, but none of them compared to this moment. She looked up again, staring at him.
"Thanks, Dad" she finally replied. "I've missed you too"