Far Away | Teen Ink

Far Away

By delilah_manhatten SILVER, Chester, Montana
delilah_manhatten SILVER, Chester, Montana

They love to tell you stay inside the lines but something's better on the other side. Johnaten Mayer

I don't know how I ended up here or why. Sometimes, I think I screwed up getting married and having kids right out of high school. I thought once, I was destined for extraordinary things but here I am, living in a dump with a bunch of people who don't want to be found. I don't know what it is with them, if they're loners or criminals, or why I choose to live near them.</p><p>One of them, Fredrick, the one nobody sees in daylight, has a rusty license plate on his Taurus that reads "Far Away". I don't know if that's where he wishes to go or where his mind is. Maybe it's some ironic joke used to torment people here, serving as a constant reminder of our mistakes. For all I know, Fred thinks it's a conversation piece which, I hope is the case. I don't want that license plate to mean anything to me; I see it everyday and can't erase it from my mind. I know, one day, I will be far from this place. I don't know when that will be, or how it could be, but I know it in the back of my mind. Life seems to understand this and I can hear her calling me, begging me to escape. "Why not?" I wonder, "Why not leave right now? What here could be so important?