Girl/Boy 1 | Teen Ink

Girl/Boy 1

"Haha, you're really funny." the girl said.

"Oh really? You think so?" asked the boy.

"Yeah, you remind me of my brother."

"Your brother? What's he like?"

"Well..." she paused and looked sad suddenly as she stared at the porch floor. The porch light illuminated the boy and girl slightly in the night but their figures were not completely visible from a distance. Staring at each other they could only make out rough features. If, for example, one of them had a slight case of acne the other wouldn't realize it if it was the first time they met each other. However the boy could tell by how long it was taking her to finish her sentence that something was probably wrong. He assumed that her brother was either dead or seriously ill and suffering a lot of pain, be it mentally or physically.

"Oh... I'm... Really sorry. I..."

"Oh no!" the girl said suddenly, faking optimism. "He... Passed away a long time ago. When I was young." said the girl in a hushed tone, fighting back the true feeling in her voice.

"I'm really sorry. I don't know what to say."

For some reason the boy had a thought of having sex with the girl to comfort her. He had a quick image of him becoming very forceful and her begging him to go harder and faster to make her "forget the pain". The boy suddenly felt ashamed of this thought but still somewhat aroused if he were to be honest with himself. I personally find this thought disgusting and animalistic but the boy did not. The girl began sobbing slightly which really made him feel bad.

"I... Really loved him, you know? We connected in a..." her sobbing became more pronounced. "...In a way that... I can't explain."

The boy suddenly felt very guilty of his previous thought.

"I'm really sorry." he said in a gentle whisper.

"Do... Do you like me?" the girl said through her tears.

"Wh-What?"

"I always noticed you st-staring at me... In... In gym class. I pretended not to notice but I did. All of my friends always said that you liked me but they all thought you were a little weird." She laughed slightly through her tears.

The boy felt a little nervous but forced himself to respond.

"Do... YOU think I'm weird?"

"No, I think you're very sweet. Misunderstood and sweet."

"I see... Thanks. I appreciate that." he said, secretly wanting to hear more.

"I heard all of your friends made fun of you for being my friend for so long while I dated Cody and you didn't have a girlfriend. I just want to let you know that I think that's really screwed up. I don't understand why boys are like that... Why people are like that."

"Yeah... I... I always considered you a good friend. I never cared what anyone thought about us just being friends." he lied.

"Yeah... You're really special." The girl's tears were almost completely gone now, she sounded a little happier. "In fact..."

"Hm?"

"I think I love you."

And that's the end because after that they were pretty happy and there wasn't much conflict within the situation that night.