Stand Tall | Teen Ink

Stand Tall

By Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

Have you ever just stared up at the sky and took notice of the birds? The birds that soar past the sun, leaving wisps behind in the atmosphere without a care in the world; the ones that flap all of their might against the Earth, against all odds, against all theories?
I thought about those birds one stormy night, when the lightning flashed horizontally in front of the clouds like prison bars. I wondered: Couldn’t I grow a pair of wings of my own? To fly over all troubles and weaknesses, to soar above my own mind?
I try. Oh, they have no idea, but I try my hardest to strangle the tissue that courses through my legs, but I try to no avail. The only escape I can create is from the portals of words, the portals which seize a young writer and turn her around to gaze in the mirror. Nothing compares to the pleasure a writer receives from the bliss of utter silence and control, yet noise is exactly where one gets her inspiration.
But.
There is one thing I have learned here on the ground: there is always another hand, another way to glance at situations. Some may call it the brighter side, the silver lining, or alternative perspective. So I know I must comply with my imaginary wings for now, which originate from the graphite of my pencil and letters of my keyboard.
Therefore, no matter what anyone says or does, I’m me. Unique. Special. God put me on this earth not so I could wallow is self-pity but so I could make a difference. Everything happens for a reason, and I am that everything. There are a lot of amazing people put in this world that I am eternally grateful for, and I will not let their care go to waste.
After all, aren’t wings for people without a true purpose?
So I guess my legs will continue to stand.

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

Henry David Thoreau

John Green

Thank you soooo much!

Kindle GOLD said...
Kindle GOLD, Sudbury, Other

"There is no subject so old that something new cannot be said about it." -Fyodor Dostoevsky

"Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense." - Robert Frost

I never thought of it that way, but you're right: to be free is to be without purpose, but what are we without a purpose in life? We'd be lost. This is brilliant and so inspirational!

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

Henry David Thoreau

John Green

Haha, thank you sooooo much! It means so much (ik thts probably a cliche already) but it does!!

Fallen_ PLATINUM, Quakertown, Pennsylvania

" a shattered world is only an opening into a new beginning with laughs, smiles, and love all around enter the world of the light and away from the broken darkness"

OMG HANNAH YES i look up to the birds lol, You are brilliant and amazing and i just want to meet you in person to see what kinda of person creates such elegant beutiful work! this poem is by far my new favorite it screams you and how you think it makes me want to re-think everything and die clutching your work. overall, love your word choice, lvoe everything!

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

Henry David Thoreau

John Green

Thank you so much! It means the world :)

PirateCountry DIAMOND, Muncie, Indiana

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Nice job! I loved it! Sometimes I wish I could fly too but I never thought of it the way you wrote about it. I suppose I can continue to stand on my legs as well :) You're very inspiring.

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

Henry David Thoreau

John Green

Thank you so much :)

Lilia PLATINUM said...
Lilia PLATINUM, El Cajon, California

Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder. ~ Rumi

I read this article becasue you asked me to, but I ama commenting entirely of my own accord. I really liked this, and will probably read it multiple times. You captured the thirst of a writer perfectly, and the language makes me have to keep rereading it becasue of the way each word swings. thank you for writing this.