What to Write. What to Write | Teen Ink

What to Write. What to Write

By Kelsey Smith BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma
Kelsey Smith BRONZE, Grove, Oklahoma

What to Write. What to Write.
“I don’t know what to write about!”
“What should I write about?”
“Mom….give me something to write about!”
These phrases are used every day for my English class. I could be sitting at my desk, for an hour just staring at a blank piece of paper. The thought of a million little things that could be written about are stuck in my head.
I could write about love, boys, clothes, friends, my brother, my dog, band, the weird kids I sit next to who talk about ancient kingdoms? I can’t decide! There’s so much going on that I could put on this paper, but what? Which would catch the reader’s eye or even make them feel like they are in a dream? The choices I have are everywhere.
As I write my name on my paper to start writing, something pops into my thoughts, “I can write about….never mind.” Another idea, gone. I lay my head down in exhaustion. Everything is fuzzy, and nothing seems clear enough to picture as an essay. I lift my head back up, looking at the wall… “I got it! I will write about finding what to write about!”
I get a smile on my face, and start to jot things down, but I stop. As I sit up straight, I realized something. I don’t know how to start this to make it interesting. I hit my forehead with my hand. “Here goes another hour wasted...” I drop my pencil and just wait… “This essay will come to me…eventually.”

Before I was writing this essay, i couldn't decide what to write about. So I chose to write about what to write about.