The Gang on Court Road | Teen Ink

The Gang on Court Road

By Caitlin Bracken BRONZE, Warrington, Other
Caitlin Bracken BRONZE, Warrington, Other

The Gang on Court Road

“Rose Murphy, you're on detention tonight.” I sighed. It wasn't my fault they'd chased me all the way round to the back of the canteen. I knew we weren't supposed to be round there. If they hadn't trapped me behind the big bins and told the teachers I was there I wouldn't be in this mess.

After detention, I ran as fast as I could to the bus stop, just as the last bus, the X12, pulled away from the kerb. I set off for the long walk home.

By 5 o'clock it was pitch black dark. The streetlights were on here, but I knew they wouldn't be, closer to home. Not since that fire last summer.

The council won't come and fix the street lights. No-one will. Everyone's scared of the gang on Court Road.

Dim shafts of light were visible below the curtains on Court Road. But these were all behind closed windows, where television sets were turned up loud, where no-one would hear me scream if they came for me again.

I turned the corner. It was raining heavily now and it was so dark I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. But I was nearly home. As long as I could get past the news agents. As long as they weren't there.

But they were there, and now they'd noticed me they'd follow me all the way home.

I walked straight past them, head held high, trying to kid myself and them that I wasn't bothered. Inside, however, I was terrified.

As they moved towards me, I broke into a run, but they were bigger, faster. They were gaining on me now, throwing stones and shards of glass at me. I made the mistake of turning to see how close they were and one narrowly missed my eye, cutting my forehead instead.

Eventually, after what seemed like hours, I fumbled with my keys and fell into the empty flat. I stood against the door, panting heavily. I reached up to wipe a bead of sweat from my forehead, but it wasn't sweat. Blood was trickling down my face...