Two Hearts | Teen Ink

Two Hearts

By carolinestarr PLATINUM, Ellicott City, Maryland
carolinestarr PLATINUM, Ellicott City, Maryland

"It's not about who we are, but who we choose to be."

I can hear the hear thu-thumping of his heart as I affectionately lay my head against his chest. I like to think that the only reason his heart is beating is because of me. Of course I know it's not true, you know, biology and stuff. But, it's nice to think that I am the one that can make his world turn. I am the one that fuels this wonderful human being to be the creative, funny, and caring guy whom I love so much. Thu-thump. I'm not in his heart, I am his heart. I am a part of him, forever and always. Nothing can separate us.

I sneak a peek up at his beautiful, sleeping face. Thu-thump. His eyes are so peaceful and calm. For a moment I want to know what he is dreaming about, but then I abandon the thought. He is at peace, and that is all that matters to me. I can't help but to continue to watch him sleep. As I press my left hand against his face and give him a quick kiss, I look at the amazing ring that adorns my ring finger and think about what it means. I will be sharing my life with this man. My happiness, my sadness, my accomplishments, and my failures . Everything I am belongs to him, and everything he is belongs to me. My heart begins to beat in-sync with his. Thu-thump (thu-thump). Thu-thump (thu-thump). That is what our lives are now. Two hearts forming into one, forever and always connected.

Alright, thanks! 

WhenItRains21 GOLD, Magnolia, Texas
Though this was short, you effectively communicated the message without adding anything unnessecary.  The "two hearts" may be a bit cliche, but I feel like you presented it in a way that is fresh and relatable.

Thank you so much! :)

dagnytaggart said...
on Mar. 29 2013 at 10:35 am
This was beautiful. The metaphor of the two heartbeats in sync is amazing. The main character was super relatable, and there is so much emotion packed into such a short story! Good Job - I loved it.