Eighteenth Nightmare | Teen Ink

Eighteenth Nightmare

By Mary Weese BRONZE, Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
Mary Weese BRONZE, Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania

“Hey kiddo! How was your day?” Dragging all of my shopping bags into the house, I ignore my idiotic father as I run straight up to my room. Opening the doors to my walk in closet, I drop my bags on the floor and grab the pair of heels that I am looking for. I scramble through my Nordstrom bag and change into my brand new dress. Slipping on the golden pumps, I stand up in front of my full length mirror and take a look at my brand new outfit. Squealing in delight, I know that this look is absolutely perfect for my eighteenth birthday!

Knocking on the door, I hear my two parents walk into my bedroom. I crack open my closet door and peek out at them. “Want to see my outfit for tomorrow?” I ask as they take a seat on my bed.

“Of course we do Gracie!” my mom says, as I open the door. I walk to the center of the room, while my parents fuss over me. I take a twirl in my dress, showing it off. It is made of white silk and is embellished with golden jewels and sequins that match perfectly with my shoes.

“Wow! This dress makes you look like such a beautiful young woman,” my mom says. “It’s also perfect for the occasion, considering that you are going to be a legal adult tomorrow.”

“She’s right Grace. You look very mature and absolutely stunning,” my father adds in adoration.

“Alright enough fussing! Thank you mom and dad, but I need to get some beauty sleep before my big day.” I head back to change in my closet, as a signal for them to get out.

I wake the next morning to the sound of rain pounding down on the roof above me. BOOM! A loud crack of thunder shakes my bed and I scurry to grab all of my blankets to hide under. The loud noise of the rain and thunder continues as I remain under my sheets.

Wait a sec- It’s my birthday! I checked the weather yesterday and there was definitely a zero percent chance of rain. How in the world could this be happening? I turn to lay on my stomach and scream into my pillow. This is so the worst thing that has ever happened to me! I live in Pennsylvania and it is finally warming up in May so my party today was supposed to be outside in my backyard with all of my closest friends. If it keeps raining like this, I can’t picture that happening!

Storming downstairs I yell at the top of my lungs “MOM! DAD! Why is it raining?” Stomping into the kitchen, I see no sign of my parents. I walk into our living room and still can’t seem to find them. “This isn’t funny! Don’t you two realize what day it is?” I end up walking around my entire house and can’t find them. My last resort is to check the garage. I see only my car, meaning that both of my parents’ cars are gone.

I quickly grab the house phone and call my mom’s cell phone. She answers right after the first ring, and I don’t allow her a second to talk. “Mom where are you?! It’s my birthday, it’s pouring down rain, and worst of all my parents aren’t even home! You have so much explaining to do.”

After a brief pause I hear a deep voice on the other side of the line. “Um, sorry ma’am, but I think you have the wrong number.” My face turns as bright as a tomato, and I quickly apologize, hanging up the phone. I dial my dad’s number, and this time I decide to keep my mouth shut just in case. The other line makes a sustained beeping noise, which I think usually indicates that the number doesn’t exist.

Now I really start freaking out. What in the world is going on? Every morning my parents have the same exact routine. My dad reads his paper at the kitchen table, while my mom makes us all breakfast. Apparently this isn’t happening today, so I quickly grab a bowel of cereal and eat in front of the TV.

There is only real answer to this terrible situation: it is a flat out joke. I don’t think it’s funny at all, so I’m not going to let my annoying family fool me. I grab a bowl of cereal, and plop down on the couch. Flipping through the different stations, I decide to turn on the weather channel to see what’s going on with this whole thunderstorm nonsense. The forecast pops up and my nightmare gets even worse – it looks like it’s going to be raining all day long. Lovely.

I walk upstairs and decide to spend the day getting ready, instead of moping around. This surely should get my mind off of all of the nonsense going on. Filling up my Jacuzzi, I pour some vanilla bubble bath into the water and try to relax. The rain miraculously has slowed down, so I turn on some calming music and let my mind wander to a peaceful place.

After my bath, I decide to get ready for my party despite the fact that my parents are playing this dumb joke on me. I take my time putting on my makeup, attempting to make it flawless. Then, I put my hair half up so I can start taming my messy blonde hair. I curl my long locks into tight spirals. When I’m on the last piece of the bottom section of my hair, a loud thunder strikes and shakes the entire house! My hand even shakes, and I accidently hit my neck with my curling iron.

I tense up and just stand there, glaring at myself in the mirror. The redness from my burn, emulates even through my face, which is fuming in anger. This so cannot be happening! Honestly, I don’t think this day could get any worse. My hands begin to tremble with fury, and then the power goes out. Looks like I was wrong – this day totally just got even worse.

My bathroom has no windows in it, so I am now standing in complete darkness. I have never felt so alone and vulnerable in my entire life. Dropping to my knees, tears begin streaming from my eyes. This has to be the worst mental breakdown of my entire life.

Wiping wet watery tears from my eyes, I begin to realize that maybe this isn’t a joke. My parents would never just vanish without an explanation! Images begin flashing through my mind of memories that I have had with my parents. I am an only child, so they really are the only people whom I call family. Ever since I was a little girl, my mommy and daddy have loved me so dearly. I never have been one for mushy love though. As I have grown older, I have continued to push them away. I guess I just thought that’s what all kids were supposed to do.

I run back to my room and open up one of my drawers. Digging through layers upon layers of clothes, I find my old Teddy that my mom gave me the day I was born. Teddy and I used to be the best of friends and spent every second of every day together. Now eighteen years old, Teddy sure doesn’t look as great as he used to. His white color has now faded into a darker shade of gray, making him look worn out. One of my tears falls from my eye and lands on his soft fur. Holding back more sobs, I squeeze him tight and jump into my bed. Along with Teddy, I get back under my covers.

Worries fill my brain with fear. My mind begins to create different situations on where my parents could possibly be. Hours upon hours seem to pass with the rain pounding down. I pop my head out from my hiding place and take a look at the clock. Seven p.m.?! There’s no way! I am mentally so exhausted that I just do not want to deal with this any longer. I burry my face in my pillow and cry myself to sleep.

After what seems like a lifetime of rest, I hear birds chirping and my bedroom door creaks open. “Happy Birthday Gracie!” my parents shriek and blow festive horns in my ears. I peer my head out from under the covers. Before I can say anything my parents are tackling me in hugs and kisses.

When they drop their arms, my mouth drops to the ground, staring at them in complete astonishment.

“Gracie darling, what’s wrong?” my mom asks, with a worried look on her face.

“I thought that yesterday was my birthday! Neither of you were home all day, there was a horrible thunder storm, I burnt myself, the power went out and…”

“Woah there kiddo,” my dad cuts me off. I think we let you sleep too long and you had what sounds like an awful nightmare.”

I blink at my parents. Looking around the room, I see my dress hanging on the door of my closet. Scattered around the floor are beautifully wrapped presents of all different shapes and sizes. Balloons float up at my ceiling. Outside the sun radiates, and it looks like the perfect spring day. I grab my parents and squeeze them tight, hoping that they never leave me again.