Not Worth It | Teen Ink

Not Worth It

By L.thewriter BRONZE, Blacklick, Ohio
L.thewriter BRONZE, Blacklick, Ohio

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Not Worth It
It all started when I forgot about my job interview. I muttered to myself about how dumb that was. I really needed this job, and also a ride to get there, so I asked permission to go to the bathroom. Then I rushed to my locker, clumsily turning the dial, messing it up until the third try. Then I grabbed my phone, and ran into a bathroom stall to make the call. Unfortunately for me, there were two problems starting right there: 1) I knew I wasn’t supposed to use or even have out my phone during school hours 2) I didn’t check the other stalls to see who else was around. So I hit the speed dial number, and my mom answered on the second ring. “Hey, I have a small problem. I forgot I had the McDonalds interview today, so I don’t have a ride. I was wondering if you could come get me early, and take me over there.”
“Yeah sure, I’ll come get you at two. Is that okay?”
“Um, yeah the interview is at two-thirty, so that’s plenty of time.” I smiled involuntarily to myself, glad as to have solved the problem, but suddenly my smile fell. Outside the door was none other than my principal. I knew I was busted, and breathed a deep sigh. “Mom? I have to go.” I hung up before she could even say anything. I quietly unlatched the door, and her open palm is what greeted me. I dejectedly handed over my cell phone. “I was on the phone with my mom.”
“Doesn’t matter. Where are you supposed to be?”
“English, but I asked to go to the restroom, and I have to go.”
“Fine then, go.”
I spun on my heels, and sat down. It was really embarrassing having to use the bathroom, while she stood outside the stall listening. Then she followed me to the sink as I washed my hands. Other students milled around, and she greeted them. Then my cheeks flushed in even more embarrassment as the other girls stared at me and Mrs. Kloster. I wanted to about die right there, but that wasn’t even the worst part. She then followed me to the classroom. I angrily sat down in my seat.
“Mr. Bailey?” he looked up at the sound of his bosses voice. “Bathroom.” And I could swear to you even though I didn’t turn around, that she smiled and triumphantly waved my phone. He laughed, and then continued with class. Hot tears threatened to spill onto my cheeks, but I held them back with anger, because I wasn’t the one in the wrong. Well, maybe partly. If only I had checked the other stalls! I sat sulking the rest of the period waiting for the bell to ring.
As art class arrived, I could barely contain myself. My mom was supposed to come get me. I was way beyond ready to get out of there. Suddenly, the double doors opened, and my heart sank as Mrs. Kloster walked in. I thought I was out of the woods, and that the only problem would be convincing my mom to come in and get my phone. Guess I was wrong.

“So Lily, I’m extremely confused as to what happened today. You see, I have two major problems here. 1) You were deceitful to Mr. Bailey. He can’t trust you anymore now can he? You abused your privilege, so now why would he let you go the bathroom when there’s a chance you’ll use your phone? 2) You were very disrespectful to me. You gave me attitude, and when you sat down at your desk in English class, I knew that I should definitely wait till later to have this discussion with you, or else it would have ended very badly. But the thing I don’t get is why you behaved that way. You’re an honor student, who never gets in trouble. So what’s the deal?”
I wanted to scream that it was an emergency, and it wasn’t like I called my best friend and started chatting about her boyfriend. That all this was completely stupid. And that I wasn’t being disrespectful, I was just caught off guard, and she perceived it as rudeness. But I didn’t do that, instead, against my better judgment, I started to cry. Body wracking, stutter-inducing, snot-nosed, tears. It was so mortifying, I wanted to crawl under a rock, and die. “Well, to be honest with you….’
“That’s all I expect.”
“ I don’t like being here, and I really just wanted to make sure my mom was going to come get me.”
“Why didn’t you use the office phone then?”
“Because, isn’t that what a cell phone is for? Plus, I hate how when I use an office phone you guys just sit there, and it’s like you’re listening. It’s uncomfortable.”
“But still you knew the rules, and you disobeyed them. Maybe you think they are pointless and dumb, but since you’re a student there’s nothing you can do about it. You need to understand that, as a teacher we have different rules and that we are the teachers and you’re the student.”
“Well next year I’m not coming back, so I just can’t wait for this year to be over.”
“ Have you prayed about it? That’s a really big decision.”
That question caught me off guard. Here I was, sitting in an uncomfortable chair being interrogated and made to feel guilty, and now is the time she’d like to bring up God? “Um, other people have been.”
“Why haven’t you?”
“Because me and God aren’t on great terms right now.”
“ As hard as it may be to believe, I used to be like you. Well, the old you, she says giving me a pointed look. I was the ideal daughter to everyone who saw, and I always went to Christian schools, but I knew deep in my heart that I wasn’t right with God. I think that is my deepest regret. That God could have used me in so many more ways, but I was too stubborn and upset with him to care.” Her eyes brimmed with tears, and I had a momentary sense of sadness and sympathy. I could totally connect with what she was saying. She stood up, and crossed over to her desk. She pulled out my phone, and said, “I was going to give you a detention, but it seems that you’re already torturing yourself enough.”
I nodded, and stared at the floor. “I’m sorry for my behavior.”
“I forgive you.” she smiles, and asks to pray for me. I consent, and then she’s leading me out to my mom ,who’s waiting in the lobby. She hands her my phone, and says goodbye. My mom already knew what happened, and actually thought it was funny. Kind of ironic, because I thought she was going to be really angry. Anyway, I realized then two things: 1) Never again would I use my cell phone at school and 2) My attitude is extremely important, and I need to be careful how I portray myself and how I’ll be perceived. All in all, I suppose today was a good lesson learned. Oh, and I almost forgot, I did end up getting the job. Sad part is, it wasn’t worth the trouble I got in.

CurlyGirl17 SILVER, Corydon, Indiana
Great job! The characters and dialogue all seemed very realistic; I could picture it happening. It was good! :)