Beautiful Cold | Teen Ink

Beautiful Cold

By E.J.Mathews GOLD, International Falls, Minnesota
E.J.Mathews GOLD, International Falls, Minnesota

The icy wind tore at Jessie’s face. Each time she inhaled, the frigid air threatened to freeze her lungs. Her fingers and toes were just starting to hurt, and she knew she had to get inside before frostbite set in. Somehow, despite these unlivable conditions, Jessie wanted to stay outside.

The winter scene of the lake was absolutely breathtaking. She would sit down and draw it if she could without her fingers turning black within minutes. She was fascinated that there was almost no sign of life anywhere. It made the area where she spent her whole life, look alien and hazardous. The only tracks around were her own, and the ones made by the wind. She loved how the snow looked when the strong wind blew. The dunes, lines, and the way the light snow glided on top of the heavy, just fascinated her.

Jessie turned back to look at her footprints. The line she made was getting longer, and she figured that she should turn back. Was it worth an amputated toe to witness this wonderland for a few more minutes? She thought that it was, but she knew her parents would get mad at her. They always thought she should know better than to make a mistake. All they wanted was for her to go to school and become a doctor, or a lawyer, or some other soul crushing job that would make her a lot of money.

She was afraid to show them all of the beautiful sketches in her desk drawer. Jessie already knew what would happen if they saw them. She would be scolded for wasting lead on scribbles, instead of using it for homework. Even though she bought the pencils with her own money, in her parents’ eyes they were still a waste.

These thoughts all popped into her head along with some others. She didn’t want to follow the line back to her home. She just wanted to stay where she was, and take in the astonishing beauty. She knew one thing, if she stayed out there in the cold, she would die. Jessie also knew that if she went back, her parents would end up killing her eventually.

She sat and thought for a moment. Her digits were beginning to feel as if they were numb, yet being squeezed far too tight in Jack Frost’s grip. What if her parents saw the drawings, and liked them? Or better yet, what if others say them and liked them? If Jessie got recognition for her drawings, there was no way her parents could yell at her.

Jessie thought of all the situations in which they would be happy with her artwork. What if someone bought one for a lot of money? What if they were published in an art magazine? What if a gallery wanted to show her work to the world? She sat and thought. She looked at the breathtaking view laid out before her. It was all for her, and not one other soul.

She noticed that she was getting tired all of a sudden. Jessie took a moment to feel the cold, but she couldn’t. Her hands were numb, as were her toes, her neck, and her face. She soon lost focus on what her body was feeling. She just sat there and felt. She took in her surroundings. She looked at the fantastic world God had made just for her. After a while, she couldn’t look anymore. She closed her eyes.

Jessie fell asleep in paradise, and woke up there as well.

She looked at the fantastic world God had made just for her.

KealliiRaycene BRONZE, Sumter, South Carolina

So what? All writers are lunatics- Cornelia Funk

you just wrote a novel in a few paragraphs and did a good job. Brilliant!

readaholic PLATINUM, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

I'd rather fail because I fell on my own face than fall because someone tripped me up
~Jhonen Vasquez

It's amazing how you set up the character and situation so quickly with so little exposition, which really helps the story stay interesting and not all flashback.  Really good description and word choice, and I like the little bit of hope in the middle that makes the end surprising.

holly1999 GOLD said...
holly1999 GOLD, Middlesbrough, Other

'There was no need to clarify my finger snap, the implication was clear in the snap itself' - Magnus Bane

Wow. Great description and the first paragraph was brilliant. I love how you managed to add Jessie's history in such a short time without it being overpowering.  :)

kbatra SILVER said...
on Mar. 19 2013 at 7:17 am
kbatra SILVER, Needham, Massachusetts
love the discription!

WhenItRains21 GOLD, Magnolia, Texas
Wow. A very though provoking piece. It's full of rich description that's very well done. I like the way you were able to characterize Jessie in such a short time, as well.