Unforgiven Soul | Teen Ink

Unforgiven Soul

January 17, 2013
By EAPoe PLATINUM, Vermillion, South Dakota
EAPoe PLATINUM, Vermillion, South Dakota
30 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I only write what I feel." -Me


This is an account retold by a psychologist as is told to him a grieving father:
“I have several daughters. My youngest was a dreamer and she aspired to do many of the things I forbade her to since her mother died. She would often rant and yell at me for trying to pull her back. My friends often wondered if she would do something desperate someday. I told them that she would never go that far. She went that far.
“One late night, I heard a thud coming from her room. I got up, rushed there, and what I found shocked me. It was her body, lying there, with a knife implanted in her chest and her hand on the handle. She was very much dead and I felt like a 300-pound safe hit me. I looked over and found what appeared to be a suicide note on her chair. I walked over and read the big words that knocked the air out of my lungs: ‘I DIED BECAUSE OF YOU!’ Her note continued about how much she wanted to chase her dreams but wasn’t allowed to and how much she hated me ever since.
“It tore me apart and I felt like my life had become undone. I have become so depressed ever since that I’m not able to function anymore. I can’t stop blaming myself for what happened to her.”
He died of grief shortly afterwards.


The author's comments:
I told this story to my class in World Literature. As I told it, they were mostly (if not entirely) silent. Some of them were scared by it, including my teacher. This story was based on a certain fictional being whose deeds had been bothering me for a while before I told my story. I felt like if his loved one had suffered the same fate as the girl in the story, then he would be ashamed of himself and fall apart. Mainly, I wanted him (to quote from a movie)"to see how rotten" he was.