My Dead Best Friend | Teen Ink

My Dead Best Friend

January 16, 2013
By BitZee BRONZE, Springfield, Massachusetts
BitZee BRONZE, Springfield, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." ~Robert Frost


"I remember my first day at my new high school. I thought it was a horrid thought, starting my sophomore year with out any friends. With out any guidance.

I walked down the halls, watching my feet hit each tile, being bumped around by tall guys or preppy fake girls. I look up slightly, finding my locker and carefully unlocking it. I noticed a girl about my age standing next to my locker, at hers I presumed. Her locked eyes with me and smiled before walking away. She was the first one to notice me that day. One of the only people to.

I walked to my 3rd class of the day, guided by the map. I finally found it and sat in a spot in the back. The person next to me, who was too absorbed in her small notebook to notice me, dropped her bag. I quickly reached down and handed it to her. She shot me a thankful smile, it was the same girl from the lockers.

I glanced over her shoulder as nonchalantly as I could. Trying to figure out what she was so interested in writing. She quickly sensed me and shut the book, eyeing me. I felt instantly guilty. 'There goes my chance of making a friend.' I thought, but instead of scolding me, she smiled. A warm and hearty smile.

"What's your name, nosey?" She said, hinting the amusment in her voice.

"Mellisa." I said, returning the deed with my shy smile.

"Allison," She stated her name. "Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." She quoted, adding a wink before returning to her writing.

That day I made a friend. Her name was Allison and little did I know she would be my best friend till senior year.

Little did I know I would be speaking at her memorial service." I took a big breathe before continuing my speech.

"I never thought I would have such an amazing friend. But I also never thought I would have to prepare a speech about my best friend after she died. I have to remind my self everyday.

My best friend is dead. And there is nothing I can do about it."