Dream Come True | Teen Ink

Dream Come True

October 23, 2012
By Bookwizard PLATINUM, Watertown, New York
Bookwizard PLATINUM, Watertown, New York
38 articles 0 photos 53 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back it was always yours, if it doesn't it never was.


I’m bad with boys. When I say bad I mean terrible. Every time one tries to talk to me I start to shake uncontrollably. So I tend to stay away from them and they keep their distance also. It’s a mutual relationship that I was fine with. So when Gabe, one of the cutest boys in school, came over to me and said hey, I knew something was up. “Hey what?” I said in my head but just nodded because I had already started shaking. “You’re that Sarah girl, right?” he asked and he leaned against the locker next to mine. Anyone from the outside would think we were flirting but I knew otherwise. “Um I guess so but there are a lot of Sarah’s and I don’t know you.” I said messing my words up. I always do that. I hate talking to boys. He just laughed, like my clumsiness was adorable. “Well I heard that you liked me.” He said once he was done laughing. “I-I-I no.” I stuttered turning red. This was crazy. Why would this boy think I liked when I barely knew his name. He smiled again. “Well it’s okay if you like me. I don’t like you though, sorry.” He explained. I just stood there like an idiot. “But there is this other dude who is my friend that wouldn’t mind um how do I put it? Admitting to going out with you.” He finished shrugging his shoulders. I felt my mouth open just a little and my shyness and embarrassment was replaced by pure annoyance. I wasn’t some charity case that needed help finding a boyfriend. “Um no thanks. I don’t need help finding somebody to date me. And by the way I never liked you in the first place.” I said, my first sentence that wasn’t stuttered. Then I slammed my locker in his surprised face and stomped off. Yeah I showed him. I may be shy but I’m not stupid and I don’t need any help finding a boyfriend. Especially by some popular pretty boy. He could keep his kindness to himself. I was still mind ranting when I slammed into my crush. Today was really not my day. “Sorry.” I mumbled looking at the floor. “Oh hey.” he said as if bumping into me had been an after thought. I looked behind me and saw Gabe and my anger returned and overtook my shyness. I didn’t need any help with getting a boyfriend. “Um Kyle.” I started. He looked at me. “I like you.” And with that last word my courage disappeared and I was once again the shy clumsy girl that shook when I talked to boys. He just looked at me in a startled way. It was like he was surprised I had even talked to him. “Sarah.” he said and that was it. I thought he was going to continue but he didn’t and the silence ate at me. I wanted to run and cry and never come back to this school and have to face him in my fourth and sixth period again. “I-I-I just wanted you to know.” I said feeling tears coming. I had to get out of there. They could not see me cry. I looked down at my hand that was beginning to shake. “Bye.” I hurriedly said turning around on my heel. But before I could take off down the hallway a hand appeared on my shoulder. I couldn’t help it, I froze. The hand disappeared after that and Kyle walked in front of me. “I like you too Sarah.” he said with the smallest smile. I didn’t smile. I didn’t do anything. I just stood there and stared at him. I’m pretty sure he was uncomfortable. Then I finally smiled. “Yay.” I said, “This is a dream come true.” I said grabbing his hand, which surprised my inner shy self. And that’s about the time my teacher said, “It was a dream come true to get a 70?” and I was brought back to reality.


The author's comments:
I just thought of it as I was supposed to be doing a project in science:)