A House Is Not A Home | Teen Ink

A House Is Not A Home

By AndSoItGoes01 SILVER, Reno, Nevada
AndSoItGoes01 SILVER, Reno, Nevada

"The winter I told you icicles are magic, you stole an enormous icicle from my neighbors shingle, and gave it to me as a gift, I kept it in my freezer for seven months. Love isn't always magic, sometimes it's melting." -Andrea Gibson

A House is not a home. Or at least that’s what my parents tell me. “A house is not a home. But the home is the family, and the family is the heart.” Or at least that’s what my parents tell me.

My only question is:

What if your home is like your family? Then wouldn’t the house be the home and the home is the heart? What if it all changed because you loved your house more then the air you breathe?!

What if I told you that I know every curve of the walls? That I’ve memorized every dent in the floors, every frame of every picture hanging, or every mark in our pavement porch? What if I told you that I know the scent of a Christmas in our living room, the warming of gingerbread and the smell of the forest green branches? What if I told you that I can see the kitchen table on Valentines Day with my eyes closed? (The warm brown table filled with mashed potatoes, corn, meat, and bread. And once we finish this, a cake awaiting us on the counter.) What if I told you that I could feel the plush bunny you gave me at Easter if I stand under that huge tree in our back yard and hug myself? What if I told you that I know the exact spots of where I buried letters from years ago in the moist dirt behind my playhouse?

What if I said that I’d miss each and every part of this house? Every part including its imperfections like the leaky roof and the play house whose paint is peeling off bit by bit.

If I told my parents all of this, I wonder if they’d consider thinking about this house as a home, and consider this home as my heart. I wonder if they’d still make me move into another house that I don’t know. That house where I won’t know every curve of the wall, or every individual blade of grass that I sat on when I was little, pretending to feed stuffed animals mud pies.

My parents told me “A house is not a home. A home is a family, and a family is the heart.” But they also told me that when we move it’ll be for the better. I wonder if they think its better that I leave my home behind, along with my heart.

Because in my mind: This house is my home, and this home is my heart.

Tell me what you guys think? I wrote this in a pretty angry state. I no longer feel this way about my move but I do consider this a good piece of my writing!That's why I put it in realistic fiction. Please tell me what you think.

AndSoItGoes01 SILVER, Reno, Nevada

I know I wrote a ton xD but I haven't written and posted anything on Teen ink in ages. Anyways, THANK YOU! This comment from you means a lot to me considering the fact that you're one of my favorite authors. Thank you so much, and I hope you keep writing too. (:

dianepoon PLATINUM, Hong Kong, Other
Thank you for leaving comments on my articles! I love this one of yours. And keep up the good work! (You write a lot, really!! There are like, 10 pages of your work :DDD)

AndSoItGoes01 SILVER, Reno, Nevada

Thanks for your empathy and your comment :) nice to know someone has gone through (or is going through) what I am right now. Really appreciate it!:D

MarieAntoinette2014 DIAMOND, Scottsburg, Indiana

Isn't it ironic? We ignore the ones who adore us, adore the ones who ignore us, love the ones who hurt us, and hurt the ones that love us.

That's really good... I know how you feel. :(

AndSoItGoes01 SILVER, Reno, Nevada

Thanks so much for your comment! It means more then you may think. :) I'm happy you enjoyed it!!!!  

snowgirl SILVER, Mooers, New York

Life can be short so live it to the fullest

This story was really great!!!!! I did`nt even relize i was done reading it till i reached the comments thats how cought up in it i was. Keep up the great work

AndSoItGoes01 SILVER, Reno, Nevada

Thanks so much for your comment!!! It means a lot to me that you gave it five stars :) I will keep writing I promise, and hopefully you'll like my other writings also. (:

AriShine GOLD said...
AriShine GOLD, Norcross, Georgia

"Whatever you are, be a good one." -Abraham Lincoln

I love this piece! Great details, intriguing subject. 5 stars! Keep writing!