Awake | Teen Ink

Awake

By Kitti-Chan PLATINUM, Wichita, Kansas
Kitti-Chan PLATINUM, Wichita, Kansas

"Accept what you can't change. Change what you can't accept."

"She woke up one day, in a strange room. She could recall no memories of who she was, or how she got there. The girl would live her life as a lie."

"Jane Doe?" Jane looked up at the woman who was calling her name. Very hesitantly she stood, an uneasy feeling in her stomach. The whole waiting room seemed to be staring at her as she followed behind the woman. The woman had Jane step onto a scale and take her height and weight before leading her to a smaller room.
"So what seems to be the problem today, Jane?" The woman hands her a pad of paper and a pen so she can write.
'The school says I need updates on my shots.'
"So a check-up?" Jane nods. "The doctor will be with you in a moment."
The woman stands and leaves but the uneasy feeling does't leave Jane's stomach. The walls seem to be pressing in on her, the ceiling as well. A hand clamps down on her shoulder and Jane begins to shake. She was facing the door, and nobody had entered. She opens her mouth to scream but nothing comes out.
Jane turns, trembling to face the monster. It was huge, with long claws and sharp teeth. Long slimy fur hangs from it lanky frame. Jane's eyes are wide, the pupils lost in deep green pools.
The monster seems to cackle, a hoarse and terrible sound. Jane's mouth opens and close but no sound leaves her throat. Everything seems froze. But, as the monster reaches to grab her again, a terrible and frightful shriek leaves Jane's throat. Blood, not her blood. So much blood.

"They say she went crazy, killed a doctor and two nurses before she was subdued. A terrible shame really."
The woman finishes speaking, standing next to man both looking through a window into a white room. In the middle of the room sits a girl, a child really. Long dark hair spills from her head and two dull green eyes stare at nothingness. Her arms restrained in a white jacket.