WHO YOU ARE | Teen Ink

WHO YOU ARE

By DudetteBrunette GOLD, Bradford, Other
DudetteBrunette GOLD, Bradford, Other

'The future influences the present as much as the past'

It’s so easy to forget who you are when you are surrounded by people who look like they are confident in themselves, successful in their own identities. Enviously, I stand amongst blurs of bustling figures in places like train stations, in sheer awe of the diversity and simultaneously bewildered as to where I fit in.

Sometimes, when I’m around certain people, at those desperate moments when being alienated isn’t an option, I feel like I could easily give anything to belong and so I camouflage myself into a person they’d be likely to assosciate with and I let go of anything remotely of my own personality persuasion. It’s easy, like wearing a mask. The problem is I don’t know what lies beneath the mask, it’s gotten so natural to wear one, I can’t even remember where it started or who I was before it was introduced.

You have no idea as to what I would give to be able to define myself, to know where I’m going in my life, what I want, how I can find people I can learn to trust to help me along the path. I find myself lost, unsure of what people see me as when they wander on their own daily adventures. Who am I? What do I have to offer the world? What am I doing with my life?

All I know is, inevitably, I will have to find myself, whether I want to or not. And everything you do or don’t do in the mean time will influence that.

Thank you for helping me to find myself, whether you intended to or not.

I wrote this very short piece from the perspective of a protagonist who is facing a point of realisation in his/her life. I imagined previous confrontations or issues with others had led this individual to compromise their personality to such a large extent that they had lost themselves, or what used to compose their original personalities before the influence of others.