My Towel | Teen Ink

My Towel

December 28, 2011
By swcricket98 GOLD, Williamson, Georgia
swcricket98 GOLD, Williamson, Georgia
13 articles 17 photos 102 comments

Favorite Quote:
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.


“Everyone has something that they use every day, such as a toothbrush or a bed,” I stated nervously. My knees were rubber, my heart was pounding rapidly, and my shaking hands were dripping sweat. Swallowing hard, I continued, “For me, my towel is one of the most important items in my daily life. If I didn’t have it, I would probably have a stroke and die miserably. I would never want to have that happen so I always keep track of where my towel is.” Silence filled the room as my classmates waited for me to go on.

Pacing excitedly around the front of the room, I resumed my speech: “One exquisite Saturday morning I shuffled into my bathroom to the porcelain sink and turned on the outrageously freezing water. Cupping my pale hands under the icy liquid, I splashed it all over my face. My attentive classmates were watching me very closely, so I went on. “My eyes barely open, I staggered over to the door where my towel was supposed to be hanging and reached out to feel nothing but the hard wooden boards of the door. ‘Ah!’ I screamed. ‘Where is it?!’ Darting downstairs I blurted, ‘Momma! Where is my towel? WHERE!?’ Startled, my mom replied, ‘It was dirty, so I threw it in the wash.’ A sigh of relief leaked out of my mouth. If I hadn’t have known where my towel as, my life would be worthless. I would have to use paper towels and napkins to dry me off if I didn’t possess my flaming orange towel.

“Without my magnificent towel, the luminous grass would stop growing, the radiant yellow-orange sun would stop setting, and all of the clocks in the world would stop ticking.” Not one person was talking during my surprisingly interesting speech. “One striking Friday afternoon my family and I were stuffing our suitcases recklessly. We were getting ready to take a trip to my grandparents’ house in Albany, Georgia. If we didn’t leave soon, we would miss our flight. ‘Hurry!’ My father yelled as he carried our heavy luggage out the door. Soon my family and were piled into my mom’s sky blue Honda Odyssey about twenty minutes away from my house. Abruptly, a thought struck my head like a lightning bolt. My towel! We had left my neon orange towel on its hook at home! I pitched such a hissy fit that my dad had to turn around and drive back to the house to get it. Fortunately, we till made it to the airport and were soon in the puffy, polar bear-white cumulus clouds.”

“My towel plays a very important role in my daily life. If my towel were missing, I would be standing before you today soaking wet with bits or napkins all over me. And, as you know, that would be quite embarrassing.” Rambling towards my neat desk, I hear an ear-splitting applause increasing in volume. "Thank you,” I joke in an Elvis Presley voice, “Thank you very much.”


The author's comments:
One of my class assignments in 5th grade was to write a 1-2 page paper on an item we couldn't live without. The paper had to be in the form of a speech to your class. It couldn't be an electronic item. I couldn't think of anything, so I was assigned 'towel'. Written in 5th grade.