Melonade and the Afterschool Club | Teen Ink

Melonade and the Afterschool Club

By CupcakeSaffy PLATINUM, Cochrane, Other
CupcakeSaffy PLATINUM, Cochrane, Other

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

To: Nicky <veronica27@email.co.uk>
From: Melony <melonade@email.co.uk>
Date: 25th September 2011
Subject: A club
Hiya Nicky,
Did you enjoy going out yesterday? I did. I’m surprised that Gwen thought up such a fun thing to do as the fair. I was worried it would rain, but she had the brains to check that before. What was your favourite ride? I liked the Head Reeler, though you looked a bit sick on that one. My bracelet snapped earlier, like I said it would. I hope you’re enjoying your panda.
The reason I’m actually emailing is that I think we ought to join an afterschool club together. Don’t know about you, but it’s really annoying not having you in every class. I know we have P.E. and then there’s always lunch, but that’s about it and it’s getting to me. So, there’s loads of different kinds of clubs and we just have to figure out which one we’ll fit in to.
Here’s the ones that they have: sports (football, netball, cross country, and all that other stuff), art, cooking, fashion design, chess and computers.
Ade xx

To: Melony <melonade@email.co.uk>
From: Nicky <veronica27@email.co.uk>
Date: 25th September 2011
Subject: Re: A club
Hey Ade,
Can’t talk much; babysitting the twins. Just noticed your email and had a good idea. How about we try them all? Well, I mean, not sports because I’m not fit and you’re not strong, and chess and computers are obviously boring, so what about the others? Let’s go to art on Monday, cooking on Tuesday, fashion design on Wednesday, and then on Thursday there’s also Spanish... though I don’t think we should try that one.
*Nicky*

To: Nicky <veronica27@email.co.uk>
From: Melony <melonade@email.co.uk>
Date: 27th September 2011
Subject: Re: A club
Nicky,
I’m sure that was an interesting idea to try going to all of the clubs, but I’m starting to regret you ever said it. Art was fine, though I noticed your flowers were quite droopy. Mine were good but it was a bit boring. I don’t think we should try that again.
And cooking... Well, I don’t think that’s for us either. I’m not saying that your spaghetti was cooked wrong, but I’m starting to feel very sick this evening. I was just sat down writing about the different layers of canopy in the rainforest when suddenly I felt like I might be sick there and then. I haven’t been yet, but I’m thinking that maybe we shouldn’t try cooking again. And, though it doesn’t matter as we’re not going back, I think spaghetti is supposed to be soft when you eat it. But what did you think of the sauce? Smooth enough, I thought, and the tomatoes were cooked soft.
Not sure if I can make school tomorrow (Gwen says I’ve got a temperature) but you go ahead to fashion design without me. I’m sure I won’t be missing much.
Ade xx

To: Melony <melonade@email.co.uk>
From: Nicky <veronica27@email.co.uk>
Date: 28th September 2011
Subject: Re: A club
Hi Ade,
I agree that art was boring (and my flowers were droopy because the actual flowers were droopy, not all stiff like someone might draw them). The cooking did go quite wrong too. Maybe I could have cooked the spaghetti a tiny bit longer, but the sauce left herbs in my teeth. I’m not saying you put too many herbs in, but next time concentrate a bit harder maybe.
If you have a temperature as well as feeling sick it’s probably just a bug you picked up because honestly food doesn’t do that to you. Ask your doctor about it if you don’t believe me.
I did go to fashion design club and it was brilliant. In the textiles room, I had to do some stitching samples just to show I could do sewing. I’m actually better at it than I thought. It’s not like textiles, though, because we spent the rest of the time drawing out designs for clothes and flicking through magazines for ideas. It was great, especially as when you’re drawing, you don’t have to do all that still life rubbish, you just think of some cool outfit to draw and get started. In a few weeks, after some practice, we’ll all be designing a project to work on and we’ll be able to sew something. I’m probably going to do pyjamas because I have this really cool idea for them.
Shame you couldn’t come but perhaps you could come next time, though you’ll have to start at the beginning.
*Nicky*

To: Nicky <veronica27@email.co.uk>
From: Melony <melonade@email.co.uk>
Date: 29th September 2011
Subject: Re: A club
Hiya Nicky,
Yeah it’s rubbish I missed the club though I’m afraid you’ll have to miss it from now on. Don’t know if you’ve heard yet but the textiles teacher/ fashion design club instructor is pregnant and very close to having her baby. She’s kept it a secret for months and months because she thought she might lose her job but then over the summer she came back and people thought she’d just gained a lot of weight but she’s actually 8 and a bit months pregnant so she’ll be having the baby soon and then I’m guessing she’ll be on maternity leave for a year or so. I overheard all this from the teacher’s lounge when I was waiting in the adjacent nurse’s room (I know I came back to school today, but I felt sick again around the time Spanish class was on). So, yeah, sorry but it looks like fashion design club is cancelled until they find a replacement, though the head was saying that he didn’t think there was enough people interested so they might just quit running it.
Sorry again, but honestly when we were sewing bags last year you got really frustrated and gave up after a while so I really don’t think it was the best choice. There’s always cross country, I suppose.
Ade xx