Before the Bell Rings | Teen Ink

Before the Bell Rings

August 27, 2011
By andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
8 articles 0 photos 174 comments

“Oh my God, Melissa guess what?” Laurie said grabbing my arm as I hung up my bag outside the class.

“What?” I said although I already new. Laurie was never this exited unless. . .

“We have a supply teacher today!” She almost yelled, a mischievous grin playing across her freckled face. Our class of blood thirsty eighth graders absolutely loved to torment the supply teachers. It was a kind of game really. Most of the boys participated in the vicious teasing and mocking of these teachers, who were unfortunate enough to have the impossible duty of teaching us for the day. Laurie, although she wasn’t a boy, was gladly part of this merciless game. Most of the other girls, including me, just stood in the back round and laughed, not bothering to lend a helpful hand to the overwhelmed teachers.
We linked arms, and walked into the classroom. A short man of about eighty was sitting at the cluttered teacher’s desk. His graying hair was neatly combed, and parted, and his black suit was without wrinkles.
Laurie snickered; I even cracked a wide grin. He was wearing a suit? He was teaching the eighth grade for goodness sakes! Sometimes I think that some of theses teachers set themselves up to be made fun of.
We took our seats as the rest of the class filed in, each making jokes and grinning, some even laughing out loud. Some of the more nerdy kids even smiled a little.
I turned to Laurie and whispered, “He will be gone before the lunch bell rings.” I wasn’t joking, not even a little bit. We never had a supply teacher more then once. Our teacher, Mr. S liked to remind us of this. Our class was constantly being punished for our hideous behavior towards our supply teachers.
Most of the morning went by quietly; I held my breath for someone to make the first move. The teacher took attendance, and introduced himself as Mr. Gardner.
Beside me Laurie giggled and handed me a note. It read, “At exactly ten o’clock drop all your books of your desk.?” I looked around; every one was piling their textbooks on top of the desks, all with stupid grins on their faces. Some looked nervous and were only doing this so they weren’t the only ones who didn’t. If they didn’t than they would forever earn the name of “teachers pet.” I sighed and started pulling all the books out of my desk. I glanced at the round clock; it was nine fifty-seven. Mr. G sat at his desk, oblivious to the upcoming torture. The seconds ticked by echoing in my ears. Everyone was looking at the clock now.
Five, four, three, two, one. . . BOOM! The sound of over fifty textbooks dropping to the ground was enough to make me jump. That was nothing compared to what the teacher did. He jumped up off his chair, which fell backward onto the ground, and screamed. That was it. The first move had been made; now all hell broke loose.
Students jumped out of their chairs, most of us were shaking with laughter, and clutching our sides. Papers were thrown, books were scattered across the floor, and the teacher was still standing there absolutely stunned, trying to comprehend what had just happened. By the time he had, the class was in absolute chaos.
Laurie had jumped over her desk and was sprinting across the class to turn on the radio. The music was on full blast, and Laurie proceeded to fist pump with a crowd of other boys and girls. Some of them danced on the chairs and desks, paying no attention to Mr. G, who was yelling at them to turn it off. His voice was drowned out by the loud pop music; a ball of paper was thrown and hit him in the back of the head. He paid no mind to it, and pushed his way through the crowd of dancing students and turned of the radio. Laurie turned it back on. He turned it off. Almost everyone had stopped dancing, and was watching Laurie, and laughing, I included.
He turned it off, Laurie turned it back on, and he unplugged it, yanking it hard out of its socket. Some of the students wondered back to their desks. I stood with the crowd watching Laurie; I kind of wanted to see how this was going to unfold.
“Go sit down.” Mr. G hissed, glaring at Laurie. Laurie immediately sat down on the floor by his feet. The whole class laughed, the teacher had grown red in the face.
“At your desk!” he growled. He turned to the rest of the class. “All of you, at your desks!” We all proceeded to our desks laughing and snickering all the way. I turned to Laurie.
“Why did you do that?” I asked, frowning at how pleased she looked with herself.
“I don’t know,” she shrugged, “but Melissa did you see how red he was? He looked like a freaking tomato!” she laughed out loud. The teacher glared at her from behind his desk. I quickly turned away and sat stiffly in my chair.
“Please everyone take out your history textbooks and turn to page fifty-four.” He said with his face in his hands. I guiltily grabbed my battered textbooks of the floor, and turned to the page he’d said.
Once we had all turned to the right page he started to read about the 1800’s. We all sat there with our eyes glazed over listening to the sound of his droning voice. Two of the boys near the back were whispering about something, I couldn’t hear what. Their names were Matt and Andrew; they were the two boys who always seemed to get in trouble the most. Matt raised his hand.
“Yes?” Mr. G asked, his gaze firm, almost daring Matt to say something stupid.
“So what were the 1800’s like well you were a kid?” Matt said grinning. Most of the boys snickered at the lame joke; a lot of the girls like me just looked disgusted. Laurie stood up.
“What are you doing?” I groaned
“Nothing.” She said. She ducked under and around desks, and grabbed one of the school laptops off the teacher’s desk, and snuck back to her seat beside me. The teacher didn’t notice, her was too busy frowning at Matt. She opened the laptop on her lap, so that it was blocked from view by her desk. She proceeded to log on to her Facebook. She had long ago figured out how to get past the teachers block.
No body noticed at first, until people started giggling. I rolled my eyes. This was so stupid. Why did Laurie do this kind of stuff? I hated to think it was all for the attention.
Mr. G looked up from his textbook, interrupted by the annoying giggling. He scowled at Laurie.
“Give me the laptop.” He growled.
“What laptop?”
“The laptop that is on your lap.”
“I don’t see a laptop.” The class erupted in laughter. Laurie grinned, showing all her teeth. I shrunk down in my chair, trying hard not to laugh.
“Give it to me now!” Mr. G almost yelled. He was getting red in the face again.
“Give what to you?”
“The laptop, give me the damn laptop!” He shrieked.
“It’s not nice to swear.” Laurie said, Matt was doubled over with laughter, I thought I had broken a rib from trying so hard not to laugh.
He reached for the laptop in Laurie’s hands. Laurie let go, which he didn’t really anticipated, because he yanked it from her hands so hard he stepped backwards and tripped over a chair.
He seemed to fall forever. Every one was silent and wide eyed as they watched him fall. All the laughter had disappeared from the room as his head crashed onto the hard, cold floor. Blood flowed onto the floor dark against the white floor. It slowly inched its way towards me, I stepped out of the way in absolute horror. A single tear slid down Laurie’s face. No body moved for what seemed like eternity. All the color was gone from Matt’s face as he ran from the class. Laurie’s lower lip trembled, and she gasped as Matt came back in with the teacher who taught the class beside ours. She screamed and grabbed a cell phone out of her pocket. Laurie still hadn’t moved.
We all stood outside as the ambulance pulled away. The sirens wailed, and red and blue light played across are white faces. Laurie jumped as the bell rang for lunch.
“See, gone before lunch.” I said