My Hero | Teen Ink

My Hero MAG

By Harebelle GOLD, Vancouver, Other
Harebelle GOLD, Vancouver, Other

You showed me the stance, and I watched your muscles tighten, cobralike, in your thin legs. You did all the demos, since you were the best one there. Everyone whispered about you: MVP for seven years in a row, top libero in the country for four, international champion for five.

My body yearned to emulate yours. You squinted in that way those models in magazines do, but you weren't trying to look good; you were just focused. Your bun flopped at the back of your head as you bounced on your feet. You moved in a blink, legs fast, like lizards. Your body lengthened to reach the ball, and you nudged it upward in a perfect trajectory to the setter. You gave us instructions in your raspy voice, impetuous and goofy. When you said “Nice pass,” I jumped and your laugh sounded like a clear mountain brook.

I said I wished I could be like you. I meant to say “play,” but the truth slipped out. You shook your head and your beautiful-without-makeup eyes stared straight into mine as you told me to wish for something else.

That night I caught a movie with my friends. You were there. You handed me my caramel popcorn, and I told you to keep the change.

Harebelle GOLD said...
Harebelle GOLD, Vancouver, Other
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!

.Izzy. BRONZE said...
.Izzy. BRONZE, Broadview Heights, Ohio
Nice-it was short but I liked it that way. My favorite part was the ending. Keep writing!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

Great story!  I really have no criticism.  Your grammar and spelling were excellent and the sentences flowed well.  Excellent work!