Mommy? | Teen Ink

Mommy?

July 13, 2011
By FrownMonaLisa SILVER, Arlington, Texas
FrownMonaLisa SILVER, Arlington, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened


It’s cold, and she’s alone.
Mia did just like mommy told her “sit here and wait. Mommy will be back soon” So Mia sat and Mia waited. Everyday, on this bench, in this park, Mia sat. She marks a single line on her hand for each day. One, two, three; she wrote that one with a purple pen from a nice man; four five, six, seven; that’s the day the boy shared candy; eight, nine, ten. What’s the number after ten? Mrs. Maney had told her before, what wait it, Eleven! Then twelve, thirteen, fourteen, Mia grew tired. Too many lines to count. They went all the way up her arm.
An old man walked up and smiled at her; but Mia didn’t want a smile, she wanted his sandwich. Her stomach growled as she looked at the food. He saw her staring “would you like some?” Mia nodded her head yes. The kind man gave her his sandwich then walked away. In the blink of an eye it was gone. How many days had it been since Mia last ate, she checked the lines, one, two, three, and four. Four days since the last star, this meant four days since she last ate.
Mia wished Mommy would hurry, it was beginning to grow very cold. As Mia sat shivering on the bench she heard two women whispering “Every day she sits on that bench. She’s always wearing the same outfit” “It looks like she hasn’t bathed in weeks!” Mia looked down, she knew she was dirty and mommy would be mad when she got back. But Mia didn’t have any clothes, and she didn’t know the way home.
A big man in a blue uniform with a shinny badge walked up to her. Mia knew who it was, it was a police officer. Mommy didn’t like police officers. “Hello there little girl” Mia looked up “What’s your name?” Mia stared “It’s ok you can tell me” “Mia” she whispered softly, her throat hurt for the coughing earlier “Well Mia could you tell me where your Mommy is?” Mia shook her head no, blinking tears out of her eyes “Why don’t you come with me darling” he said holding out his big hand. She knew better than to say no to him. She stood from the bench and reached for his hand. The man led her to a car with red and white lights on top. Mia knew that the man was going to take her away. He handed her a blanket and placed her in the car.
Mia began to cry, she didn’t want to leave. If she left now how would she ever find Mommy? Mommy . told her to sit there and wait. She said she would be back soon. But soon seemed like a long time, especially to a five year old girl. But Mia didn’t mind waiting. She just wanted her mommy back. She promised to be a good girl. Always do what Mommy said. She didn’t want to loose Mommy like she lost Daddy. Mommy please come back, please.