Fallen | Teen Ink

Fallen

June 4, 2011
By Wrenwithabrokenwing BRONZE, Lexington, Massachusetts
Wrenwithabrokenwing BRONZE, Lexington, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sure, we can fix this. I have fire and duct tape, therefore I am invincible."


The colors swirled around me, and my skirt drifted with them in the slow breeze. It had been a full summer since the accident, and yet I was still reeling, mentally spinning as the leaves were around me.
I walked around my kingdom alone, and even the vivid reds and golds of the trees in our- now just my- beautiful park. What is a kingdom without two rulers? Two rulers, best friends, who explored every square inch of this park?
Running with bright jackets flashing in the sunlight, shrieking and laughing. That was us back then, as we played happily amongst the many wonders the forest had to offer.
I realized where I was going, to the now forbidden tree... Our castle stronghold. My castle, now...
Slowly, in a dreamlike trance, I almost drifted towards it and began to climb. I sat in the branch I always did, and subconsciously slid over to make room for her. Something shimmered next to me, gradually taking shape.
"Claire?" I whispered, hardly daring to believe it. "Yes... I needed to say goodbye... I couldn't when I fell..." I flinched, and realized I needed to tell her.
"Mickey... He..."
"Misses me?" Her eyes, even in their ghostly state, lighted up in hope.
I began crying at this point. "He pushed you, and tried to kiss ME! I never accepted the kiss, but... I made sure you were alright. You weren't... Your spine snapped."
Claire, surprisingly, smiled. "I knew all this, I just... Wanted to test you. And say goodbye. Zoe, it was my time. I'll forever guide you, I promise. IF you ever come across a light, a guiding light in the darkness... Remember me, as I'll be carrying it. Goodbye, sister."

She smiled, and everything faded to black...

*************************

"Where am I?" I asked when I awoke.

"In the hospital, sweetie. There was another girl with a lantern with you, guiding us to you. When we found you, she seems to have vanished... She was a pale little thing, with a flighty voice. Did you know her?"

Yes. I'm glad I did.