Today I'm Pretty | Teen Ink

Today I'm Pretty

May 22, 2011
By Gigiliciousdefinicious BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
Gigiliciousdefinicious BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy every minute of it!


I looked into a puddle one day and thought; "today I am pretty." I had done my hair up in a messy ponytail and my makeup was just right.
Yesterday I was ugly but today I was pretty. The street was wet and running with brown, muddy water. I was the only pretty thing amongst the litter and ugly, identical houses that lined the street.
Today I was pretty. I knew that people would notice when I got on the bus. I knew people would take a break from their busy lives just to notice me.
I stood by the bus stop and waited for the plain, big, gray, bus to rattle up the street. I imagined the look on every ones faces. They would wonder who I was, where I was from.
The ugly gray bus trundled up the ugly gray street and I was pretty. I didn't feel fat or hideous. No today, I was a movie star.
When I stepped onto the bus I looked around for recognition. None. Although I'm sure I did see someone laugh and point. Yesterday I was ugly. Today I am ugly.


The author's comments:
We had to write a piece for class that started with "I looked into a puddle one day and thought"