Uneven | Teen Ink

Uneven

Money, the one thing that is important to all people, but it causes violence in places like Mexico, and hunger in half of the world. Money can be looked at like a friend. But secretly inside, it can be your enemy. If you have it, its your friend. If you don't have it, it will make your life a living hell. Money can be discriminating. It makes the world uneven like a lever.

MEXICO
Esperanza

I climb down my bunk bed still groggy because of the Quince yesterday. I HATE Mondays. They are the beginning of new week. You never know what to expect. I hate surprises. But there have been surprises all over Mexico. Like the eight people that were killed in the town next to us. They are here.....the bad people. My mother says they are people with no heart. I don't know what she means right now but I'll worry about it later. I need to get ready for school.

“Be careful mija. Who knows if those locos have reached us yet so be very cautious.
If you see them remember to run and hide with your sister.” I know Nana is scared but she's not trying to show it. But what will we do if the bad people do reach us? Will we run and hide for the rest of our lives?

We left school early today. I am really scared now. In the middle of music class we heard yelling. We were singing loud enough to not hear to gunshots. “Every body go in that corner over there!” Mrs. Dolores yelled. We scuttled next to the cabinets like soldiers and waited. A few minutes later I heard sniffling. Alicia started crying. Oh no. That will get us into more danger. Eduardo covered her mouth and we waited more. Five years and two months later, Mrs. Dolores got a call. “Students get your things and head home as fast as you can. You will figure out what happened from your parents at home. Now GO, GO,GO!!!” I got my things and ran into my sister's class next to us. She was putting her things away in the slowest way ever.
“Eva hurry! Cant you see that the bad people have attacked?” We have to go. Even the teacher had left the classroom.
“Wait! It's because senior Bigotes can't be here alone!!! He will die!” Eva grabbed the rabbit from the cage and slipped it into her book tote. She grabbed the rabbit food and looked for something else. My sister the animal lover is putting us in danger.
“Come on!!!” I pulled Eva out into the dangerous streets.

I unlock the door to my house and pull Eva in. “Esperanza! Eva! Oh thank goodness your okay!” She squeezes the heart out of me and Eva.
“Mom what are we going to do!I'm so scared! Are we going to die?” Eva huddles on the couch.
“To tell you the truth I'm not sure. Your father might be here any minute.”

The front door opens and we gasp waiting to see who it is. “Papi! Papi! Los locos ya yegaron! I'm really scared Papi!” Eva grabs my father's leg like a little girl.
“What are we going to do dad?” I don't think he even has an answer
“I'm not sure. We are gonna have a talk about this. We might need to leave the barrio.”

Why are they doing this to us? It's not fair! We are losing our lives just for their thrill. I'm really scared. If we do leave the barrio, where will we head? They just want money. They don't understand that the world is uneven so we are not the chosen ones to be spoiled and filthy rich. Instead, we have to literally be filthy, and we have to wait to see how our lives end. If I have to live like this for the rest of my life, I prefer dying.

AFRICA
Kya

I wake up staring at the hole in the metal roof of my home. The sun is shining brightly and it is hurting my left eye because of the hole on the roof. I stand up feeling my tongue a hard as a brick. My baby brother is crying; he is very thirsty. I call Ma and tell her where I'm heading. She quickly nods so I grab the vase outside of our home. I head on my usual walk to the pump on the other village.

I head into the town and already notice the line to the pump. Today I'm lucky there isn't much people to it yet. I might even get home early and I could help Ma on more chores. Today might really be a good day. Maybe.

Ma's face brightens when she sees me. I love to see her happy. It gives me hope. I don't know for what, but it gives me hope for some reason. I hand Ma the water and she gives some to the baby. My baby brother seems fascinated with water. I am too.

Today was a very good day! We ate! My friend next door found a ball and we got to play all day with it! It was so much fun! The best part of today was when I saw my brother smile!He was clapping at us while we played and laughed!

We are getting ready for a night's sleep. My baby brother actually smiled today. I had never seen him smile. Before we went to sleep Ma, my father, me, and my baby brother head out. The stars are shining brightly. My name means shining star. My father says that they named me that because when I was born, it was night. My father said the stars were shining as bright as this night.

“THE GOD OF THE SKIES SENT US A BLESSING TODAY! I woke up in the morning because of a loud sound. I looked at the hole in the roof but it was dark! I couldn't see the sun! I was so scared I thought I was going to die! It turned out it was the same people that built the pump for us on the other village! They were going to help us again! The people in the helicopter started building a pump for our village. Ma was watching in amazement. But I wasn't focused on that, I was focused on the girl in the helicopter. She was about my age. Her clothes....WOW. Her hair looked so clean and so long! I had never seen somebody in real life like that! But when I went up to say hi, she gave me a disgusted look and started screaming.

I made a new friend today. Even though we can't talk to each other, it was so much fun! When I went up to the girl she started screaming. She then asked something to a man watching the builders. The man pointed to me. The girl showed me a beautiful doll. She even let me hold it! I never wanted that day to end!

U.S.A
Annie

Bam! My head hits the end of bed from a gigantic bounce.
“Ha ha you hit your balloon head!” My stupid brother jumps off my bed and runs to his own room. What a bad start for this day! I don't deserve this! I'm rich! I can't have a concussion! I might die!
“DADDYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!”
My servant Tom enters the room.
“I'm very sorry Ann but your father is sleeping and you must not disturb him.” he says nervously.
“BUT I WANT DADDY NOOW!!” Sweat trickles down Tom's face
“I'm sorry Ann but...”
“DON”T CALL ME ANN YOU UNDERSTAND?”
“Yes Ms. Haberland”
“ Now leave my room your sweating you disgust me!!!!!!” Tom exits my room running down to the kitchen for my breakfast.

“DAADDY!!!!!!!!!!!” Ugh I hate when I don't get the attention. My parents probably don't love me. I'm waiting in my room for hours and hours it is probably already the afternoon and my dad still doesn't get here. I'm the most miserable person in the whole wide world!

My dad finally rushes in. He has his special suit on. Oh no. I hate when my dad has his special suit on. It means he is gonna go traveling to some icky place. Isn't my icky brother enough? Apperently not. Every time my dad comes back from his stupid trip he seems sad. His face doesn't even brighten when he sees me. He also always mutters the same thing, “Oh this uneven world. I could never do enough.” What the heck does that mean? I try to get my dad's attention while he talks to some guy with a clip board. The guy with the clipboard leaves the room.
“What Annie?” My dad says.

How dare he! What does he think I am? A dog? My dad would never respond to me like that! This is why I am the most miserable girl in the world! “Dad, James gave me a concussion! I got hit so hard it vibrated the whole house!
“I'm sure it did Hun.” My dad responded with a bored tone.
“Your going traveling again huh? I don't know why my mom would approve. You never inform me about this!”
“Sweety it wouldn't interest you. You even call it icky.” My dad nags at me to much.
“Dad I want a makeover on my room. It needs to be less dangerous. I could die you know? The concussion was horrible and...”
“Sweetheart I told you, I have to do another of my projects.”
“Projects are for school not grown ups. I am going with you to ok? I want to see where you really do go.” MY dad spits out his orange juice.
“WHAT!?”

“Yes daddy I'm serious. You know I'm a serious person. Why would I be lying? I want to see where you really are going for you little “trips”.
“Are you sure you want to do this? It's not you. You wouldn't like coming to..”
“I think that would be a great idea. Annie has no idea what the world around her looks like. This might change her attitude.” My mother says.
“Mom! I have my reasons! Stupid James gave me a concussion. I hit my head so hard it vibrated the whole house!”
“Of course it did Annie now get your stuff ready you guys are leaving at noon.”
“TOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I yell down the stairs. “PACK MY THIN.....”
“No Annie, it is time for you to do your own things, go pack up.”

We mount on the helicopter heading for the airport. I love helicopters. Even though there is a loud noise all the time, I love to see the beautiful views down. “So dad, where are we heading?”
“Africa, they need a lot of help over there.”

“DAD!! People are coming up to me! Why do they have that clothes and those ugly houses?”
“Not everybody has so many things like us Ann. Your mother wanted you to come here so you can see how grateful you should be for what you have. The lives for others are not easy. But you never noticed.” I can't believe it! My chest hurts and I have no idea why! I have never has this feeling. I think I'm getting sick. I feel like I have a lump on my throat like my daddy has when he talks.
“Daddy! I'm bored!”
“Maybe you can play with that girl over there by the tree. I grab my barbie dolls and go up to the girl. “um.....Hello” SNAP! I forgot they have a different language! I Show the dolls to the girl. She has a wide smile. She hugs the barbie doll with love. “Don't you have a barbie doll to play with?” The girl keeps hugging the barbie. I show her the other one. We start walking them around the grass.

After the pain in my heart I started feeling a comfortable, warm feeling. I liked that feeling. We were playing most of the time. But then, daddy said we had to go. I was very disapointed. When I picked up the doll away from the girl I saw pain in her eyes. I remembered all the dolls I had back home. Maybe getting rid of one is okay. I like that warm feeling and not that lump on my throat. I hand the doll to the girl. “For you. I have a lot back home. You need it more than I do.” The girl's eyes twinkled under the moonlight like stars. Well, maybe I'll see you another time. I give her a hug and run to daddy.
“That was the nicest thing I have ever seen you do. It was a good idea bringing you here.”
“I want to help in your every project dad! I have never noticed how much help the world needs!”

Money seems to be the most important thing to people. Money should be the least problem in children's lives. Money is spoiling or stressing out kid's lives which is not healthy. There are many differences between childen's lives from different places. But one thing that is the same is the stress the are receiving from lack of money. That shouldn't be part of the similarities. This part should be even.

I have noticed how grateful I should be for what I have even though it's not much because their are others that have much less.

deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

No problem! Maybe you could check out some of my work, if you want. I'd really like your opinion!

Assomepossum said...
Assomepossum, Aurora, Colorado
Thanks!  

We take so much for granted and money can drive people so insane, especially in this country. We need to stop and appreciate what we have more often. Great job!