The Face Of Fear | Teen Ink

The Face Of Fear

TheGirlWhoDancesWithSnowflakes SILVER, Sunnyvale, Texas

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another,
"What! You too? I thought I was the only one."
- C. S. Lewis

She stood on the edge, yet did not fear the fall. The wind howled in her ears and ripped at her ebony hair, yet Ember did not waver nor wince at the biting cold. With a sad sort of smile, she cast her dull gold eyes down on the sight of the churning grey sea, which had opened its gaping mouth in hopes of swallowing Ember whole. It was wild, yet beautiful, and it tempted Ember with its siren songs. She should have been feeling something, anything, but she felt none. Not even Fear could penetrate the thick hide concealing her emotions.

What was fear? Was it a feeling? Was it a living thing that grew within the host and fed of the person's terror? What really was the face of Fear? Ember never knew, nor did she believe she would ever live to find out the mysteries of Fear.

Her eyebrows furrowed in concentration as she stared at the raging sea. Here she was, standing on the bridge, gazing into the storm, yet she felt nothing. Was she not supposed to feel-

"Ember!"

Her heart jumped in fright.

Aiden.

Ember glanced over her shoulder and caught sight of the soaked, pale faced boy staring at her with fear filled gold eyes. "Ember, don't jump! Come on; walk over here to me."

She wanted to. She wanted to be in Aiden's arms. Safe. Warm. Without fear. When she was wrapped up in his arms, it was only her and the lullaby of a beating heart.

One foot came swinging over the railing as Ember blinked at Aiden. "You came back," she stated with no emotion as Aiden took a cautious step toward her. "I thought I'd never see you again."

She swung her other foot over the railing and now she was completely turned toward Aiden. She pinned him with her blank stare, silently asking him for an answer.

'Why?'

"Ember," he breathed shakily. "J-Just come down from there. Please."

She blinked at him questioningly as she tightened her fists around the metal.

"Why," she finally asked as the rain beat down on her, soaking her clothes and making her hair feel heavy on her head.

Aiden smiled as he extended his hand toward her. "I'll tell you when you get down."

Ember's grip slowly weakened on the rail as she buckled her knees and readied herself to move away from the edge.

But something swirled in the air.

As Ember jumped down from the railing, a blast of wind yanked her by her clothing and flung her to the open arms of the sea. A yowl of rage escaped her mouth as she desperately tried to find something to hang on to. But it was too late. Gravity took a hold of her small form as she tumbled over the edge, her black locks plastering to her face.

"Ember, no!"

She was falling, tumbling to her death. It was beautiful, yet ugly, Ember thought as she cast a sad smile at Aiden, who was screaming and watching her fall with horror.

Her heart beat faster as her eyes widened in realization.

This was what Fear felt like.

Losing the one you loved.

She had finally found out what Fear was.

leafy said...
leafy, City, Other

Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

Wait- Ember...dies? DX ...Anyway, nice story, and no matter what you think, you ARE talented ^_^

kingofwriters BRONZE, DeWitt, Michigan

"Books are a uniquely portable magic." - Stephen King

I love books, and I love technology, but I don't want to see the latter overwhelm the former. I just think books are meant to be pages you turn, not screens you scroll through.

Wow...you really are a talented writer.