Halloween | Teen Ink

Halloween

March 26, 2011
By flamingochick0220 BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida
flamingochick0220 BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
He who laughs last thinks the slowest, but he who laughs first has the dirtiest mind. ;D


It was a dark and stormy night. Me and my best friend Liz were just getting home from trick or treating. My parents were at a party, so we had the whole house to ourselves. Liz told me that we should probably get ready for bed so that we won’t be so tired tomorrow. Being the devious one that I am, I protested that we should take advantage of my parents not being there. Finally, I got her to agree with me and we headed out into the storm with our umbrellas to T.P. a house. On our way outside, Liz asked me whose house we were going to T.P. I thought about it for a while and said that we should do Mr. Burgess’ house. Mr. Burgess was a grumpy old man that was obsessed with lawn gnomes. He almost had a heart attack last winter when he thought someone had stolen them even though he put them away so that they wouldn’t get “too cold”. Ever since then, he has to act all mean so that people can’t take advantage of him. He almost never celebrates Halloween. Instead, we think he watches movies about lawn gnomes. Anyway, here we were, standing outside this creepy guy’s house and thinking about the neighborhood credit we were going to get. After a while of complete silence between us, Liz said that we should probably get it over with before anyone saw us. I agreed and we got the job done in a matter of twenty minutes. Before we headed home, I asked Liz if we could take the long way around the neighborhood, and hesitantly, she agreed. I liked taking the long way, because it gave me the excuse of having time to spend with my best friend. Around a quarter of the way home, we heard a rustling in the leaves right behind us. Liz and I jumped and screamed at the same time. I told her that it was probably just the last few trick or treaters getting their share of candy. She said okay, but you could tell she was starting to get scared. We started walking again and after something like fifty more feet, we heard something behind us again. I looked back and right there in front of me was a dark figure. When I saw it, I swear, I nearly peed myself. I started running with Liz right behind me. When she asked me what I saw, I told her about the figure. We ran all the way home and bolted through the door, while scrambling to get inside. My parents were still not home and I was starting to get really freaked out. Me and Liz locked all the doors and windows before we ran upstairs and went into my room. Right when I got into my room, I realized that I was really thirsty from all the running and screaming we did…just my luck. I told Liz and asked her if she would come downstairs to the kitchen with me, but she was still really scared and said she would rather just stay upstairs in my room. I reluctantly said okay, and started to head downstairs. When I got downstairs, I went to get a water bottle from the fridge. That is when I heard the knocking on the door. I nearly jumped out of my skin! I screamed Liz’s name and she came frantically running down the stairs asking me what was wrong. I told her about the knocking and she was like, great, the figure followed us home. After that, I said we should probably see who it was. She finally agreed. When we here heading towards the door, I heard knocking again, but this time it was accompanied by my mom’s voice. She was saying “Jackie, Jackie honey, wake up! It’s time to go to school! By the way, don’t forget that your father and I are going to a party tonight, so you and Liz will be here alone to go trick or treating!” Right then and there, I realized that it would be a very interesting Halloween.


The author's comments:
This is from 7th grade. I can remember in creative writing class being assigned to write a short story. I love this piece, it's one of my favorites.