Red Lights | Teen Ink

Red Lights

By writer-in-pearls GOLD, San Diego, California
writer-in-pearls GOLD, San Diego, California

She stared blankly into the grey sky, only vaguely aware of the tight gold dress wrapped around her emaciated body. A few droplets of rain fell, and she wondered if it would storm. She wished that she had a wrap or sweater, it was cold in January. But, that would have been counter productive. She sighed, and walked into the dingy restaurant a few meters away.
The waitress glanced at her, but didn't say anything, only took her order. She asked for a coffee, black. A few minutes that felt like an eternity passed before it came, and then she sipped it slowly, savoring the scalding burnt taste of the watery liquid that passed for coffee. She dug her nails into the styrofoam cup, leaving curved marks along the sides. She brought her hands closer to her face. They were smooth, soft she was told. She had long, red acrylic fingernails and a small gold band on her left index finger.Her fingers were long and bony. She realized with mild concern that her hands were shaking. These were not the hands of a fifteen year old. She closed her eyes for a moment, then opened them, reaching into her small black sequined purse and pulled out a crumpled dollar bill and a few nickels and a rusted penny, tossing them on the table. She stood up and left the restaurant, resuming her position along the sidewalk. She rubbed her eyes, she was exhausted, and then smiled at a passing car.
It was a beat up red toyota, one of the headlights was smashed in and the rearview mirror was duck taped into placed. It stopped. She walked over to it, making sure to sway her hips and look straight at the driver.

Internal-Love PLATINUM, Queens, New York

Nothing's black or white, its all just a shade of gray---

TI "Live your Life" ft Rihanna

Hmm.................though it didn't have a lot of action this piece was wonderfully descriptive. You've created an entire image in my mind, which was probably the point of this piece anyway. well done